Defender 2020 Plug in Hybrid

https://media.landrover.com/news/2020/09/land-rover-defender-gains-plug-hybrid-electric-power-six-cylinder-diesel-and-new-x

• First Defender Plug-In Hybrid: New Defender P400e is the most powerful and fuel-efficient Defender, with 404PS, 0-60mph in 5.4 seconds, 85.3mpg and CO2 emissions of 74g/km
  • All-electric driving: Electric motor delivers instant torque for zero-emission on- and off-road driving, with an electric range of 27 miles and no tailpipe emissions, plus five- or six-seat options
  • New six-cylinder Ingenium diesel: Smooth and refined in-line diesel engine is available in three power outputs of D200, D250 and range-topping D300
  • High-performance diesel: D300 delivers superior torque, fuel economy and emissions to previous diesels, and is Eu6d-Final and RDE2 compliant
  • Defender Hard Top: Tough commercial Defender available in 90 and 110 body designs, with a range of Ingenium diesel engines and a practical, durable load area
  • Defender X-Dynamic: Bridging the gap between Defender and Defender X models, new X-Dynamic features a tough exterior design and unique interior fittings
  • Intelligent All-Wheel Drive: Defender is the first Land Rover with Intelligent All-Wheel drive system, fitted to all in-line six-cylinder diesels
  • Defender 90: Three-door version boasts impressive capability and advanced technologies in a compact wheelbase, capable of seating six and available to order now
  • Choose your model: 90 Hard Top priced from £35,820 OTR (ex. VAT), 110 Hard Top from £43,012 OTR (ex. VAT), 90 from £43,625 and 110 starting at £45,640 in the UK. 

So randomly for 21MY they’ve dumped the 4-cylinder diesels engines and they’re now all 6-cylinders. Remarkably there doesn’t seem to be any increase in price and the D200 is now a 3-litre engine with 500nm of torque rather than a 2-litre with 430nm. Same horsepower at 200PS.

They're all “mild hybrid electric vehicles” as well which, as far as I can tell, is a form of start-stop technology using a motor/generator that replaces the starter and alternator.

Should be helpful when towing and will be a little smoother than the 4-pot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

So randomly for 21MY they’ve dumped the 4-cylinder diesels engines and they’re now all 6-cylinders. Remarkably there doesn’t seem to be any increase in price and the D200 is now a 3-litre engine with 500nm of torque rather than a 2-litre with 430nm. Same horsepower at 200PS.

They're all “mild hybrid electric vehicles” as well which, as far as I can tell, is a form of start-stop technology using a motor/generator that replaces the starter and alternator.

A 200hp six cylinder diesel actually sounds appealing, even if very little else does (for me).

I am skeptical about that fuel economy claim for the P400e...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

So will that change when you’ve got coming then James? 

• 5 months later...

I am currently wondering about buying a PHEV of some form of Landrover.  I was told this morning that the Defender version won't be out until July 2021, but clearly it is something that has been delayed on a number of occasions.

What are people's views about the Land Rover PHEV's.

I have driven Discoveries for about 30 years. (including one which was modified for rape seed oil).

I’m not a fan of PHEVs for a number of reasons:

1. You've got 400hp for the distance the battery lasts (20 miles real-world range maybe?) and then you’re down to a 4-cylinder petrol. 
  2. When that happens the engine will have to work harder to lug around the extra few hundred kilos of batteries/motor.

If you genuinely do 90% of your driving within the EV range then maybe it would be worthwhile, but otherwise I’d say no. And for any kind of long distance driving, towing, load carrying, diesel is still king. Even the base D200 model has more torque than the P300-equivalent that you’ll be left with once the battery is flat. Torque is what matters with engines, not horsepower.

Theyre a nice idea (one more to do with tax-efficiency than actual progress the cynic in me would suggest) but I’d go for a diesel or wait for the full EV in a few years time.

Thanks for that.  My own personal circumstances are where I perhaps need to drive over 27 in a day miles 4-5 times a year (there and back).  Hence the PHEV turns into an EV for driving around Birmingham.  I need a vehicle that I can fit a PA system, guitar and keyboard in for a gig as well which is where a Defender works out reasonably well.  

Harry (of the Garage fame) did an interesting video on a PHEV RRS; 2019 I think.

As alluded to above, there are no real mpg benefits if doing long trips. He discussed managing short trips and battery recharging.

My place of work is 2 miles and for me a PHEV would give me a few days on electric. Then when a long journey crops up I'd be back to an ICE. And as Harry comments there is/was legislation regarding the overall emissions of the manufacturer's fleet to consider. I can't really imagine a 3tonne BEV RR/LR product. Maybe they'll go for H2 fuel cell if a fuelling infrastructure ever happens.

• Like 1

PHEV only works for short trips, like you said, Jeremy, and then on,y if the owner is disciplined enough to regularly charge it.

As for the BEV/HFCEV debate, there are pros and cons, but I can’t see hydrogen being affordable to most people without a lot more progress on the already impressive improvements in production of the gas, and the costs of refuelling station construction and the resupply logistics are going to be very significant compared to that of BEV charging, especially for those who have dedicated parking and the ability to plug in at home.  I think Elon is right on that count.  For big vehicles doing long distances, like HGVs, ships and aircraft, then HFCs are probably the better option.