300tid fuel pump issue

Landyman33

Hi there 

Sorry yes I mean fuel injection pump. The noise that's coming from the pump is like a rattling noise. The noise stopped when I changed the fuel filter then came back again a few days later. Then I changed the fuel lift pump and same thing happened. when you are driving the disco  it sounds more like a mechanical noise rather then fluid. No it's not causing a running issue neither.

Edited by Landyman33
Missed a bit off

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience a noisy injection pump was caused by fuel starvation and the pump having to work harder than normal to get the fuel it needs. One I had on my first 300Tdi I had a failed lift pump and the injection pump sounded like a chicken clucking for some reason! Recently I had a similar issue and although I changed the lift pump that too was faulty. I removed the top of it (it was a Delphi pump) and I could see one of the valves just floating around in the top so I replaced that and all was good again.

You've changed the lift pump? What make did you replace it with, and do you know that the new one is actually working?

Have you blown the fuel lines back to the tank to make sure they're not blocked? Maybe take the pickup out of the tank too and make sure you've not got loads of crud in the tank. You may well have a sedimenter under the rear of the chassis too, so perhaps check to make sure that's not full up with rubbish.

Also, are you sure it's the injeciton pump and not something else? The vacuum pumps can tick and rattle and this can sound like it's coming from the injection pump area.

• 5 weeks later...