Petrol to diesel swap

JohnnoK

What bits would I need to swap the petrol engine to a diesel in a GEMS engined P38? The petrol one is hard on the wallet, 'er indoors can't seem to lighten the foot, but she loves the ride of the Rangie.

I have access to an engine, transmission and transfer box, removed with ancillaries, so what else will I need to source to complete the job?

Engine and mounts

ECU

Engine and engine bay harness assembly                                                                                                                                 

Fuel delivery bits in tank                                                                                                                                                                               

BeCM 

Or, will the existing one be OK                                     

Transmission ECU

What have I left off the list?

Is this doable or a fool's errand?

Surely a lot cheaper to just replace it with a diesel P38?

I'd test drive one first and make sure it suits, too - the P38 diesel is smooth and not terribly underpowered once you get the revs up, but it suffers from terrible turbo lag which rather ruins it particularly in auto form. You may find you've gone to a lot of trouble and expense only to find her ladyship doesn't want to drive it any more (especially if, as it sounds, she's a fairly enthusiastic driver).

Is an LPG conversion an option over there?

I wouldn't bother with converting it to diesel tbh. Gutless and overstressed in auto form. And would need a different torque converter to the V8.
To do the swap properly you'd have to buy a diesel Rangie and swap everything over that you need... but then you already have one.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:18 PM, geoffbeaumont said:

Surely a lot cheaper to just replace it with a diesel P38?

I'd test drive one first and make sure it suits, too - the P38 diesel is smooth and not terribly underpowered once you get the revs up, but it suffers from terrible turbo lag which rather ruins it particularly in auto form. You may find you've gone to a lot of trouble and expense only to find her ladyship doesn't want to drive it any more (especially if, as it sounds, she's a fairly enthusiastic driver).

I have only ever see one Diesel version here, and the owner was NOT interested in selling.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:47 PM, elbekko said:

Is an LPG conversion an option over there?

I wouldn't bother with converting it to diesel tbh. Gutless and overstressed in auto form. And would need a different torque converter to the V8.
To do the swap properly you'd have to buy a diesel Rangie and swap everything over that you need... but then you already have one.

We have LPG for forklift trucks and such like, but as a roadgoing thing, hen's teeth rare. I do not even know of a refueling place in Cape Town.

There is a Facebook page for BMW engine conversions in Land Rovers, really centred on M57 transplants, but it does include M51,....  in among it all there are a few P38's and it will help you understand the compromises and issues associated. The P38 has many small differences in fuel and control systems which make life complicated. most people opt for the manual gearbox to avoid the transmission control issue but can then run into clutch trouble. Check out BeaDy.com for his camper conversion and Rangerovers.pub , Sloth on there has just put an M57 (next generation M51 with common rail and much more grunt) into his Thor V8. It isn't something that is easily done, and to do it for an M51 as per the original fitment is probably going to be disappointing .

On 10/1/2020 at 1:39 PM, elbekko said:

So you'll have to ship the engine and ancillaries in anyway? Might as well ship a whole car then, I'd think.

The engine, box and TC are here in Cape Town at a used engine/box importer.

Shipping a complete vehicle into SA is a nightmare unless it's over 40 years old.