93 Fender 90 indicator wiring loom problems

• Sorry if this has been covered loads of times but I’m having indicator problems.on my fender90
  • Left hand turn on the stalk - all 3 LH lights flash. No problems
  • Hazard warning switch - all six lights flash no problems.
  • Right hand turn on the stalk - all six lights flash as per hazard switch. Problem. 
  • I removed the Hazard switch itself to run some tests. Connecting the purple live to the left hand light wire had the three of them glowing - not flashing obviously.
  • Next, connecting the same purple to the right hand loom made all six lights glow. So there’s a problem with the loom - BUT if 12 volts down the right hand loom lights up all six lamps, why not the other way? Surely there’s either a connection or there’s not? I should say that the indicators were all changed to LED about two years ago without a problem until now. This seems to have come from nowhere

• Give me a mechanical problem anyway over this 12 volt stuff!

does your warning light panel have combined indicator warning light or 2 seperate warning lights ? 

if a combined indicator warning light --- this is your problem, with leds the current drawn by them is much less than the old filament lights, on the original lights when left ot right is operating the other side provides the earth path, this doen't happen very well with led lights.

you have 2 options, disconnect the left & right indicator wires at the dash light, connect in to each wire a diode so the left cannot back feed the right & vice versa.

or buy one of these https://boltonbits.co.uk/rdx-earth-fix-kit-for-led-indicators.html once fitted all your indicators will work as normal.

Also both left & right indicator circuits go via the hazard switch, so not having it connected during that test could be a unintended fault 

The hazard switch connects all indicators and put the indicator relay to a permanent plus.

I think your problem is in the steering column indicator switch. If you put right indicators on it connects all indicators. I have no idea how the switch can do this, but it is the only solution in my eyes.

Can I thank you all for your inputs. Western, you were bob on mate. Replaced the failed near side repeater lamp and the problem went away. Can’t fathom why? So with a failed repeater lamp ( not LED) on one side, but LED indicators front and back, it causes such an imbalance in the current flows when using the indicators. That beats me. But that’s why there are web sites like this I guess!
cheers

Jim

• Like 1