Key question

My ex-utility 110 TD5 (2006) only came with one key and blipper so I want to get a spare. Plus the original key is getting a bit worn.

My question is does the key have a transponder hidden in it? 

I want to know if I can just get a key cut at my local key place, or if I need to get a proper LR key blank and get the main dealer to cut it and match the transponder to the truck.

Assuming you have the alarm, and not just central locking, then yes you’ll need an alarm remote key to deactivate alarm/immobilizer otherwise it won’t start. You could have your alarm and immobilizer deactivated fully by someone with a diagnostic tool like nanocom etc. or buy a key with alarm fob from someone like remotekey  and have this added and synced to alarm with a diagnostic tool.

What is this "central locking" you speak of??? 😂

Ex-utility Defenders tend to be a bit light on creature comforts!

So no central locking. It does have an alarm and immobiliser fitted but it must have been disabled as I don't need to press anything on the blipper to start up.

That's why I just need to find out it the key has a built in transponder and have to go to a main dealer and pay for a genuine key, get it matched to the ECU and pay through the nose...

They key has nothing in it. There is a transponder in the blipper however which needs to be near to the ignition barrel however, these can be purchased cheaply and programmed in using nanocom.

PS my current issued utility Defender has both central locking and electric windows!

1 hour ago, oneandtwo said:

PS my current issued utility Defender has both central locking and electric windows!

Steady on! You'll be telling me it's got aircon next as well!

Thanks for the heads-up on the blipper. I guess I'll need to get another one off eBay and get it coded to the ECU. And a new key cut at my local locksmith type establishment.