Disco 200tdi + Defender turbo diesel = Defender 200tdi ?

Stellaghost

Use the manifolds with the Defender turbocharger & its oil feed & return pipes, dipstick & tube, also the true defender spec has 4 horizontal bolts in bottom of the flywheel housing that go into rear face of the ladder frame, timing case & PAS /Alternator bracket are different too.

• Thanks 1

Yes the defender 200tdi timing case is angled at the injection pump area & Disco version is straight plus it has a extra idler in the timing gear. 

If you look at my engine rebuild post there is a decent photo of timing case with the front cover off. 

Stephen,

You'd also need Defender injection pump brackets and injector pipes. 

I'm sure the alternator and power steering pump brackets will swap straight over.

I have heard that 19j and 200 tdi timing cases are the same but I've never seen them side by side to confirm that.

Mo

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Stephen,

You'd also need Defender injection pump brackets and injector pipes. 

I'm sure the alternator and power steering pump brackets will swap straight over.

I have heard that 19j and 200 tdi timing cases are the same but I've never seen them side by side to confirm that.

Mo

I think the cases are generally the same, but may have different mounting stud patterns for the Lucas and Bosch injection pumps.

The 19j and Defender Tdi PAS alternator bracket does not connect to the Discovery timing case, so would only be attached by two bolts and would snap them off, as opposed to the three bolts that Series alternator and non-PAS 12/19j alternator brackets had.  The Discover crank pulley doesn’t align with the pulleys on the PAS pump or alternator if you use the Defender mount, so you’d need the extra crank pulleys or a spacer between the block and the bracket, but the front pulley would still be needed for the coolant pump if you have the Discovery timing case.  The 19j pulleys will fit the Discovery crank.

• Thanks 1

May have got the wrong end of the stick here, I though you were looking to convert a Disco 200tdi to Defender 200tdi using the Disco block & internals & swapping over the parts from a Defender spec 200tdi,Not the older TD engine, apologies for the confusion. 

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

The 19j and Defender Tdi PAS alternator bracket does not connect to the Discovery timing case, so would only be attached by two bolts and would snap them off, as opposed to the three bolts that Series alternator and non-PAS 12/19j alternator brackets had.  The Discover crank pulley doesn’t align with the pulleys on the PAS pump or alternator if you use the Defender mount, so you’d need the extra crank pulleys or a spacer between the block and the bracket, but the front pulley would still be needed for the coolant pump if you have the Discovery timing case.  The 19j pulleys will fit the Discovery crank.

Yup, they will only fit to the defender casing.

Don't throw the discovery steering pump away if you swap to defender set up. The pulley can be pulled along the shaft to line it up with the crank and secondly the return pipe spigot (which will foul the chassis leg) can be removed, sealed and relocated to the back of the pump casing using solder and a 15mm domestic copper elbow. Saving loadsamoney.

HTH

Mo

Cheers guys just asked out of curiosity as have read through the forum and keep picking up snippets of info that this is compatible to that etc had no real urge to do it in practice as my lightweight already has a disco tdi in it I just happen to have both of the above mentioned engines laid around regards Stephen

1 hour ago, western said:

May have got the wrong end of the stick here, I though you were looking to convert a Disco 200tdi to Defender 200tdi using the Disco block & internals & swapping over the parts from a Defender spec 200tdi,Not the older TD engine, apologies for the confusion. 

No apologies required I put you on the wrong track by saying defender forgot that came later on and they were originally referred to as 90 and 110 my apologies for that regards Stephen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Cheers guys just asked out of curiosity as have read through the forum and keep picking up snippets of info that this is compatible to that etc had no real urge to do it in practice as my lightweight already has a disco tdi in it I just happen to have both of the above mentioned engines laid around regards Stephen

The Discovery timing case has the huge benefit in the Series models of raising the FIP up so the standard Series engine mounts will work.  The Defender version and the 12/19j timing case puts the pump in the way and necessitates the right bracket modifications on the chassis.  No big deal in itself, but should you decide to fit coiler axles, then the front prop UJ fouls the lower engine mounting on spring compression and with the spring/axle wrap on just moderate braking.  Guess how I know...😒

If you never intend to fit AC, but do want PAS or twin alternators, then the easy fit is the Discovery engine with Defender manifolds and a Series alternator mount on a spacer, with the PAS pump or second alternator on a bracket atop the timing case.  I have the PAS pump up there, driven on a second belt off a second water pump pulley mounted back to back with the first water pump pulley.  It works a treat (I’m wary of all the ancillaries being driven by one belt from the crank shaft, but that is how it is done on the Discovery engine anyway, so it’s OK, if less than ideal).