Steel bolt seized in Aluminium

Simon_CSK

I have been working on the brakes of my L322 TDV8. When I removed the callper one bolt holding it to the car hub sheared while being removed.

The calipers are Brembo cast aluminium so as above I now have a bolt stuck in. Fortunately there is a sizable portion sticking out above the caliper enough to allow me to grip with Mole Grips.

What I need to know is can I use the tried and tested method of applying heat to the alloy and gently rocking the bolt back and forth until it releases or should I use another method on the caliper?

5 hours ago, smallfry said:

I suggest that you apply heat to what is left of the bolt, rather than the caliper.

Maybe drill a hole in a piece of steel sheet to slip over the bolt as a heat shield, and apply blowtorch or whatever.

I may be totally out to lunch, but you surely want to gently heat the caliper rather than the bolt.  You need to expand the caliper to release the sheared bolt, rather than expand the steel of the bolt making it even more tightly gripped by the caliper.

Mike

Thanks for your help guys. 

That was one well stuck bolt. Welded on a bolt three times before we manager to remove it and even then we needed lots of heat on the cali[per.

I think someone had cross threaded the bolt. 

Now will get it helicoiled and refitted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

I don't know how good helicoils are, but may be a new caliper would be a good idea, instead of relying on a modified item of critical safety gear.

Mike

In aluminium, they are normally stronger than the original fastener, as essentially you are going up a bolt size.

It was helicoiled to take M12's which are now fitted and working fine. The helicoil work was done by a local retired Aeronautical engineer so I would think that he has done it right. 

I have helicoiled into aluminium before for exhaust manifolds without any problem so I am nore than confident that all will be well. Nice to have the car back on the road just need to get one wheel stud changed and then I can get it MOT'd and hopefully sold.

Having said that I have four cars that I need to MOT before the end of the month so this is going to be one expensive month.