I now need an o/d

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

Just recently replaced my HRTC ( high ratio transfer box case kit ) for a std transfer box as the gearing was to high as 1st gear was like 2nd but 4th was great for Mways, i also have 3.54 diffs and 235 tyres which i thought would be more or less right which it is for normal roads but at 70 the engine is screeming so think i need an o/d now ☹️

Hmm........

Know what you're saying..

I have the same situation but so far I have kept the 200 Tdi with the standard Series set up.

Ideal for greenlaning and around the house, but longer trips.....

Try finding a good overdrive !

I have smaller tyres, but at one point fitted the 3.54 diffs and found it horrible to drive. The low gears fell just too high to make pottering about and country lanes enjoyable - It relied on the 200 tdi’s torque pulling too high a gear and I couldn’t see the transmission being happy with it for long. So I have 4.2’s in it and they make the back roads a joy - but they are still too low for it to be comfortable at higher speeds. So I’ve an overdrive to go on.

Basically, with the spread of gears in the box and just 4 gears, I think we can’t have the best of both worlds.

You'll find a good overdrive if you look 😊 and you’ll perhaps be able to get a chunk of the money for it selling your HRTC? 

The overdrive will give roughly the same effect as the HRTC when engaged, close enough that the difference wouldn’t be noticeable.

The Fairey should be OK behind the Tdi if you use it as a fifth gear.  They’re not as robust as the Roverdrive, which is why I upgraded.  I don’t know if a Fairey would react well in 1st or 2nd over an extended period, and Fairey recommended against that even with the standard engines.

A complete Fairey should cost around £300-400, but might need a strip and rebuild with new seals, bearings and clutch sleeve, perhaps a main shaft too if the small splines are worn out.  Still cheaper than the Roverdrive, but not as robust and howls more.

6 minutes ago, Snagger said:

The overdrive will give roughly the same effect as the HRTC when engaged, close enough that the difference wouldn’t be noticeable.

The Fairey should be OK behind the Tdi if you use it as a fifth gear.  They’re not as robust as the Roverdrive, which is why I upgraded.  I don’t know if a Fairey would react well in 1st or 2nd over an extended period, and Fairey recommended against that even with the standard engines.

A complete Fairey should cost around £300-400, but might need a strip and rebuild with new seals, bearings and clutch sleeve, perhaps a main shaft too if the small splines are worn out.  Still cheaper than the Roverdrive, but not as robust and howls more.

Yeah i will just keep a look out for one for decent money, would love a romadrive but to expensive.

I have one that I bought via Gary as a project to do out here, but with the industry and my pay and job security taking a nose dive, I haven’t done anything about rebuilding it.  The intention was to keep it as a spare.  I could be persuaded to sell it on, but the problem is getting it to you.

19 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I have one that I bought via Gary as a project to do out here, but with the industry and my pay and job security taking a nose dive, I haven’t done anything about rebuilding it.  The intention was to keep it as a spare.  I could be persuaded to sell it on, but the problem is getting it to you.

Thanks for the offer Nick but think I will look for so nothing closer and not sure whether to go for a fairy or a rom a drive  :)

If you have the budget, definitely go for the Roverdrive (now called Roamerdrive because the scumbags in Tata love to sue anyone with the slightest, most tenuous excuse as to trademarks and copyrights).  It’s a lot tougher and a lot quieter, and doesn’t weep as much.  It also doesn’t add to maintenance as it doesn’t have it’s own oil reservoir to drain and refill.

• Like 1