There's a company on eBay selling the portal ends machined from aluminium for a mere ~3k per axle.

Not a lot about these days unless you cast your net into Europe / Scandi and are willing to make a long journey to pick up.

11 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

There's a company on eBay selling the portal ends machined from aluminium for a mere ~3k per axle.

Not a lot about these days unless you cast your net into Europe / Scandi and are willing to make a long journey to pick up.

Hello fridge freezer, do you have a link to eBay ? Regards Rasmus

TBH you'd have more luck with Unimogs if you can live with the fact they're not Volvos, there's a lot more crusty Unimogs around than there were ever Volvos.

Of, if you have no shame whatsoever, find a crusty Simca Marmon in a hedge and a dockyard crane to lift the axles with.

2 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Simca Marmon in a hedge and a dockyard crane to lift the axles with.

Aren't they something like 800kg for the pair of axles?

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

I'd believe that - certainly the last set I saw on a lightweight buggy sank like a brick in a soft patch :lol: they make mogs look lightweight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 10:58 PM, Bowie69 said:

Can't find the weight, here's a picture of them:

On 10/12/2020 at 10:54 PM, Bowie69 said:
On 10/12/2020 at 10:51 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

imca Marmon in a hedge and a dockyard crane to lift the axles with.

We covered this a few years ago but I think that thread doesn't get looked at by many. I previously said 324kg for a front but didn't discount the weight of the chain so maybe 310Kg. 

You're looking at £4k a set now for Volvo axles nowadays if you can find them versus a fraction of that for Sumb axles which are much stronger but are adding over 300kg compared to Volvos to your build. I think it depends a lot on what you're building. Vehicles built for the UK competition scene in my humble experience benefit more from light weight and big horsepower than portals. We tend not to set out over stumps and big rocks and generally our terrain doesn't have deep hard ruts where portals are a real advantage. In the regular trials, challenge and anything fast like ultra4 scene, portals aren't a real advantage. What attracts you to portals?

I have 9 1/2 volvo axles between 4 Volvos and the value of the vehicles has long since passed the point where it makes sense to break them. I did consider fitting Sumb axles to a Volvo a while ago to keep one alive.

Other than the weight, the other bad thing about Sumb portals is that the reduction is before the steering so the CV joints aren't protected, the crown wheel is on the wrong side of the carrier and the steering lock's really bad, especially compared to mog axles.
Some good points are that the diff offsets are perfect for land rovers, either right hand or left hand drop as the portals just bolt on, they're the only fully floating portal and can be stripped in minutes in the field instead of days, bearings and seals are cheap and off the shelf and the diff head is tiny and short compared to mog axles. 

In short, I recommend either staying light and forgetting portals or going for Unimog 404 ones instead of Volvos. Remember all the old portals are on drum brakes too unless you go 406 / 416 and later mogs but then you're at even sillier weights than the Sumb axles.

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The Volvos are easy enough to strip/rebuild, or were you referring to Mogs?

Yes,I was really meaning the Mogs but some parts for the Volvo's are hard to get too, the Stefa seals, king pins and CV boots aren't readily available, the wheel pcd doesn't exist elsewhere and whilst the Volvo's are fairly easy to work on, they're not in the same league as the sumb axles which you can strip to component parts with 4 spanners and a punch. You can generally find the bearings, seals and wheels on any street corner too. There's no torque settings over 100 lbft either. Although it's an unfair comparison, try stripping a 416 axle in a bog with a few tools you carried over in your pocket. 
That said, the Volvos have vastly superior aftermarket support in every way and if you want a lightweight portal axle there's just nothing else out there to touch them, including Maer, Axletech, Marks adapters, Tibus, JHF to name but a few. You can get stronger gears in aluminium housings with Kamo Oko Vidi shafts with disc brakes, RCV CV's and any wheel PCD you like. If you went all out would you even need a Volvo axle to start with? The £4k you'd save on axles would go a long way towards shiny bits. The 404 axles are worth the weight penalty over Volvos for most people I think given the strength in stock form and near 50º of steering lock available.

My favourite alternative I'm hoping comes to something is a Russian outfit putting Praga V3s portals onto Nissan, Toyota and even Land Rover axles. No prices yet but hopefully they don't get too silly.

12 hours ago, Jamie_grieve said:

Yes,I was really meaning the Mogs but some parts for the Volvo's are hard to get too, the Stefa seals, king pins and CV boots aren't readily available

I do conversions for the upper & lower kingpins to standard Land Rover kingpin bearings, and to replace STEFA seals with standard duel-lip seals - and the CV boots are readily available, often next-day from Volvo truck dealers but there's also aftermarket reproductions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 12:08 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I do conversions for the upper & lower kingpins to standard Land Rover kingpin bearings, and to replace STEFA seals with standard duel-lip seals - and the CV boots are readily available, often next-day from Volvo truck dealers but there's also aftermarket reproductions.

Oh, that’s awesome, I was told  the HOFS stuff was all finished with now. That’s great you’re keeping it going. It’s a shame Redwinch stopped doing the shafts. I’ve got an abandoned 6x6 project with Volvo axles I need to decide what to do with. Getting decent parts from reputable sources is half the battle sometimes. I’d probably be quite interested in your stefa seal replacements. 

On 11/14/2020 at 10:56 AM, Jamie_grieve said:

Oh, that’s awesome, I was told  the HOFS stuff was all finished with now. That’s great you’re keeping it going. It’s a shame Redwinch stopped doing the shafts. I’ve got an abandoned 6x6 project with Volvo axles I need to decide what to do with. Getting decent parts from reputable sources is half the battle sometimes. I’d probably be quite interested in your stefa seal replacements. 

Yeah Jez has moved on (family life etc.) and someone else cloned the high-ratio diffs he was making <_< which meant he couldn't do any more.

The other bits I've kept on with, as much as anything because I still have a vehicle with the 303's fitted so I need to keep my stuff going. Don't always have a huge stock as that costs money, but can get most things one way or another - I don't think there's any service item I wouldn't feel confident being able to source fairly easily.

• Like 1
On 11/14/2020 at 10:56 AM, Jamie_grieve said:

if your needing shafts i can put you onto a company that can make shafts for a sensible price that are made properly