The Assassin - Defender 90 Chevy V8 Diary

40 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

1 Metric HP is 735.5 watts

1 Imperial HP is 745 watts

1 Murican HP is 746 watts

Older american engines were tested to SAE Gross Horsepower  - withouth water pump, alternator, PS pump etc; so potentially much higher outputs for older engines

It's a pedant's playground 

SAE Gross hasn't been used since 1972!!!!!!!! 🤣

Hugely unlikely to be relevant to this thread. And I don't know of any Brit who uses W or kw to rate engine power.

17 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

SAE Gross hasn't been used since 1972!!!!!!!! 🤣

Hugely unlikely to be relevant to this thread. And I don't know of any Brit who uses W or kw to rate engine power.

You read the wrong bit on the internet 😆... SAE Gross is stil used by a lot of American tuners and engine shops; inlcuding some quite famous ones

What is relevant to the thread or not, isn't really down to you, it's down to the a forumeers. This thread is about a Defender with an older Yank muscle car lump in it.  I would also point out that who or what you know is actually just part of the ingredients to this forum. If you had a broader base of contacts within the engine tuning world, mayhap you would know of a Brit who uses W or kw to rate engine power; or maybe you would have realised that we actually have a number of overseas members.

6 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

You read the wrong bit on the internet 😆... SAE Gross is stil used by a lot of American tuners and engine shops; inlcuding some quite famous ones

What is relevant to the thread or not, isn't really down to you, it's down to the a forumeers. This thread is about a Defender with an older Yank muscle car lump in it.  I would also point out that who or what you know is actually just part of the ingredients to this forum. If you had a broader base of contacts within the engine tuning world, mayhap you would know of a Brit who uses W or kw to rate engine power; or maybe you would have realised that we actually have a number of overseas members.

Tuners in the USA are not really relevant to this topic. The 350SBC was in production until the 2000's and is still available as a crate engine from GM. The chances of it being pre '72 block in the UK is most unlikely given the build and age of vehicle. And therefore so are SAE Gross figures. A shame the op doesn't seem to be replying, as it would be interesting to hear what they are running in more detail.

Most tuners are more likely to use a chassis dyno, as much tuning is done to an engine already in vehicles, which wouldn't be a gross figure anyway. And any UK/European engine builders using an engine dyno will likely be doing exactly the same as those in the USA in terms of what is or isn't bolted to an engine when they test it. So it is all pretty equal odds really.

BTW - 

350bhp (Imperial) = 354.85PS (metric)

A small enough difference not to really matter in the grand scheme of things. But does actually have the "European" figure looking more bloated and larger. Therefore backing up that 350 "American Horse Power" would indeed be > 350 "European Horse Power" :)

26 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Tuners in the USA are not really relevant to this topic. The 350SBC was in production until the 2000's and is still available as a crate engine from GM. The chances of it being pre '72 block in the UK is most unlikely given the build and age of vehicle. And therefore so are SAE Gross figures. A shame the op doesn't seem to be replying, as it would be interesting to hear what they are running in more detail.

Most tuners are more likely to use a chassis dyno, as much tuning is done to an engine already in vehicles, which wouldn't be a gross figure anyway. And any UK/European engine builders using an engine dyno will likely be doing exactly the same as those in the USA in terms of what is or isn't bolted to an engine when they test it. So it is all pretty equal odds really.

I do understand your original comment was meant to pour scorn over US power figures, probably citing that they are higher than others. But this has no merit in reality or in this thread.

BTW - 

350bhp (Imperial) = 354.85PS (metric)

A small enough difference not to really matter in the grand scheme of things. But does actually have the "European" figure looking more bloated and larger. Therefore backing up that 350 "American Horse Power" would indeed be > 350 "European Horse Power" :)

You are getting good on google.

You have succeeded once again, in blowing things out of all proportion... Once again interpreting your google searches to suit yourself and put a negative spin on a comment I made. When will you learn? This rather pathetic attitude towards trying to put down members of this forum, who have disagreed with you, is toxi and damaging to the pleasant atmosphere of the forum. Please stop. It belittles you.

Finally do not assume I pour scorn on US power figures. If you were older and wiser you would know that references to US HP have been made in motorsport since before even I was born. Growing up in a motorsport family, I cut my teeth on them. I have nothing but respect for American hisotric motorsport and histoic vehicles/engines. Remember what assuming does.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2021 at 1:39 PM, ThreePointFive said:

It's a shame Arnie never came back. I was interested in this build, very different from others on here.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:49 PM, Nonimouse said:

Likewise

Hello Boys.

I never disappeared. The beast was away for over a year. I only just got it back.

So of-course, the news and changes you are well waiting for. Well, well over a small fortune as gone into making the modifications that I believed I wanted, needed or completely did not need and where excessive lol!

There's a lot missing from this list because I'm in the process of designing a concept as i've received offers to buy this from all directors. I'll be scoping up the concept and cost and providing the build list to my mechanics for a second build. 

I'm in need of a good chevy engine mechanic who can turn around quickly as the SBC 90 needs some attention, the leaks have got substantially worse.  It's a 1983' GM short block.

Still ironing out the little niggles here and there but its 99% where I want it to be.  The sound system can be heard from 1.2 miles away with great clarity, the sound does not get distorted.

The next mini project for the Assassin 90:
1. mod for external speakers to be connected for the beach party you are all invited to this summer! 

2. SBC engine maintenance (either just new gaskets or a full rebuild because I only get 70mph at redline (I don't have a rev counter so I can't factually say it's maxed but top speed is 71-72, I need at least 95.

Engine Modifications:

- Lots of new relays

- New Leads/Sparks/Alloy Water Tanks/Fuel Pump/Filters

- New Vintage Chevy Rockers sprayed in black crinkle paint

- AN20 SS breather lines with black/gold AN fittings

Underbody: 
- New Tarox 6 pots replaced with AP racing radical 360MM 6 pot front and 4 pot backs

- Stage 3 Axle Fully Rebuilt( 

media blasted axle cases

powder coated

New swivels

new stainless hardware

new swivel seals

new swivel bearings

new stub shafts

new bearing kits x4

new lock nuts & bearing Seals x4)

(Diff studs, swivels & seals and Ring install shafts & Cv joints and grease install stub axles install wheel bearings & races install hub Seals fit brake systems new bolts all round)

-Ashcroft:Ashcroft drive flanges 

- Ashcroft heavy duty front drive shafts

- Ashcroft:Ashcroft heavt duty CV joints

- Ashcroft:Ashcroft heavy duty rear drive shafts

- front arms:Adrenaline front arms 

- rear arms Adrenaline 

- Adrenaline front turrets and rings

- turrets and bases

- 18 Inch Evo Course Rims with 305/70 Profile AT/3's

- Air Compressor 

- New Bumper with 16 tonne redwinch

- differential:ATB Front Pegged

-Super pro Defender 90 bush kit 

GPS Stack Speedo

Fox shocks 2.0

Nas led light kit

- Push button electric doors

- Croytec black Billet Door Handle

Allisport:Allisport washer bottle

-  Bilstein Advance Black steering Damper

- Lots of other things 

Interior: 

- Hertz Mille 14 X 2 Subs, 8 x multiple speakers and 2 x tweeters and tonnes of amps. 

- Cubby Box with winch controls

- Seat Corners

- New Doors

- New Door Loom, Windows, Heated Puddle Wing Mirrors

- Benches with leather lap benches and seats

- Custom Battery Trays for 2 x batteries, Anderson Plugs for remote charging

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-29 at 3.56.28 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-06 at 8.22.01 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-28 at 12.51.00 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-30 at 12.37.47 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-08 at 6.15.21 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-14 at 1.25.06 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-14 at 8.19.43 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 1.13.07 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 8.27.41 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 9.19.44 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 9.20.33 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 9.21.09 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-17 at 6.29.01 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-18 at 7.10.15 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-31 at 11.23.48 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-04 at 12.34.52 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-07 at 9.59.12 AM.jpeg

Edited by Arnie91
  • Like 2

- The new tyres making the drive much better, I don't get the same wobbling as I did with the 33 inch Nitto Tyres

- GPS stack speedo has fixed the incorrect speed reporting on the dash, brand new custom alloy dash for new illuminated gauges

- Turning signal stalks now auto cancel

- We could't get the air suspension kit in due to no kits being available for over 6 months, so decided to park that for winter.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some updates for you all

- LED lights for interior have been sorted out

- Alarm tweaks / LEDs

- Working on custom transmission (tremec 6 speed magnum)

- Engine will be getting a strip down as rings might be worn. Heavy oil blowing from the intake manifold gasket.