Blower Motor Left - Hand Drive vs Right Hand Drive

14 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

There is a entire series about that from Britannica Restorations on YT

Thanks. I watch his stuff and i've not seen it. Off to have a look. The impeller certainly looks the other way so i'm going that it spins the other way but hopefully he can answer it 100%

5 minutes ago, Snagger said:

The blower housing is a mirror image of the version for the other driving side, so the unit has to spin the other way to work efficiently; the wrong motor or fan would work, but not well.

Thanks. That's sort of what i thought. The video mentioned has given me many pointers.

Problem is i'm 24v so getting a motor is going to be tricky. I've sourced RHD replacements before for a job for another owner but a LHD will be even harder to find. I will probably be calling the manufacture. looks like the impeller is other way round but thats least of my worries.

Just now, tweetyduck said:

Thanks. That's sort of what i thought. The video mentioned has given me many pointers.

Problem is i'm 24v so getting a motor is going to be tricky. I've sourced RHD replacements before for a job for another owner but a LHD will be even harder to find. I will probably be calling the manufacture. looks like the impeller is other way round but thats least of my worries.

I’d be surprised if you couldn’t just reverse the polarity on the motor.  The fan is the bit that will be trickier to deal with. You could run it backwards, but expect more noise and less airflow.  I don’t know if it’d be viable to cut the bladed rim from the nave and reattach it reversed - it’d have to be done accurately not only to avoid fouling the casing but to avoid balancing and vibration issues.  Probably worth a big mug of tea and a thick coat of looking at to see if it’s a possibility.

3D printer and a design and i can get one made. You're probably right about the motors and polarity but IIRC the motor is sold as CW rotation. So why if you can just switch the leads. Off to do some more google....

I would say the impeller is a standard size anyhow so i bet i can get one. Problem is my truck is in South Africa where things are a million times harder to get. They don't have web sites so you need to call many many stupids to get to someone who understands what the fook you are on about.

I need to decide if i'm doing this before i go back.....if they ever let me go back !

nah its correct. Not directional so can go either way. Just need to find the impeller.

Part Numbers and a link to the motor. There are some changes needed to the case but you can use the old case if you rip the new one apart. 

https://www.thhs.co.uk/transport-heating-and-hose-supplies/product/1056-motor-to-mp5620hw2-motor-mp5620hw2af-5892

Gate

DC Direct Current Motor 24V Verison

Part No: J1513

MP 5620/HW2

The LHD 12v motor/fan assembly is easy enough to pick up UTP1910 - I would have thought somewhere like LP4A or Leimers could order one - then use a step down regulator for its supply or find a 24v version of the motor - I guess as long as the shaft diameter is the same it doesnt matter too much if the motor casing is slightly different.   Going to be a while before we can go back methinks.. 😕

I saw that videos from Britannica Restorations and he mentioned that there are 2 types of impellers. He even demonstrates the effect of a wrong impeller (believe in part3) and the polarity with a sheet of paper.

He also mentions, that it is almost impossible to get the impeller off to exchange it.

Edited by Sigi_H

1 hour ago, Eightpot said:

The LHD 12v motor/fan assembly is easy enough to pick up UTP1910 - I would have thought somewhere like LP4A or Leimers could order one - then use a step down regulator for its supply or find a 24v version of the motor - I guess as long as the shaft diameter is the same it doesnt matter too much if the motor casing is slightly different.   Going to be a while before we can go back methinks.. 😕

doesn't work using a step down. Been tried by Mark who has 4 Ambulances. We've spent hours and hours testing. The inrush on the motor and constant load means the dropper would need to be huge and quite expensive !

He paid me to get a solution and i did. Get another gates motor. We swapped over the housings and it works. even the 24gates motor is hard to get. The 24v and 12v are different mounting for some reason and land rover used the 12v housing on 24v motors.

1 hour ago, Sigi_H said:

I saw that videos from Britannica Restorations and he mentioned that there are 2 types of impellers. He even demonstrates the effect of a wrong impeller (believe in part3) and the polarity with a sheet of paper.

He also mentions, that it is almost impossible to get the impeller off to exchange it.

yes he does. Mark managed to get off the impeller so will ask what he did. Mike said he'd never got one off in the video. 

Getting one off intact might be difficult, but if intact is not a criterion, then have at it!

As for the marking of CW or ACW on a motor description, that’d be important just for the wiring to match the vehicle harness.  If you’re swapping the direction of the same motor, you’ll have to play about with the wiring and have mismatched connections, but it’ll work the same.

• 2 years later...