2003 TD5 fuel pump on a THOR V8?

Hi!

I currently am In the process of converting my TD5 to a V8. 

About the fuel pump; is it possible to just use the existing pump? I read that it should deliver 4 bar (58 psi) and that my thor needs 52 psi. 

but the td5 has a high pressure and and a low pressure circuit which looks kinda complex. 

can I use that pump? Has it been done before? 

thanks for any feedback. 

Looking at this image I see a feed line going to the pressure regulator and a return line coming back (through a fuel cooler?) 

Of course I will completely drain all diesel and replace the filter, but what could go wrong with just using this system and hooking it up to the new Fuel Pressure Regulator for my Thor?
post-18-1235735752.jpg.9c8062d5b0d8641d125141b88a77fb46.jpg

no idea if you can run Petrol through the pump, it might be that the lubrication that diesel provides is part of what makes the pump work.

what I do know is that the TD5 fuel pump is not the most reliable fuel pump around, we have regular failures on the td5 fuel pump in our fleet.

you definitely want to have a hole in your rear floor to be able to access the pump when it does die.

perhaps try it out, pump a couple of tanks full of petrol back and forth to a drum and see if the pump lives through it....I would certainly be interested to know if it does work, got a couple of TD5 fuel tanks and chassis lying around that are asking to get a V8 thrown at them.

Good info Bowie;

TD5 fuel pump seems to deliver 180Liter/Hour at 58psi
V8 needs 120Liter/Hour at 52psi. 

(Edit of course these flows are determined with the correct fuel for the pump. It seems that running diesel through a petrol pump isn't adviced as diesel is thicker thus reducing flow/pressure. So the other way around it might just be fine)

So I'll think I'll just give it a try and see what happens when I just pump the fuel around. And then try to run the engine on it.

The most logical solution is to just swap it for a Petrol pump (I even have it lying around) But what if it just works? 

Edited by doezel

Will the Thor pump (includes fuel gauge sender, and pressure regulator) fit in your TD5 tank?

Also remember the V8 system does not have a fuel return from the fuel rail so this will have to be blocked off for the TD5 tank.

Edited by garrycol

Hi garrycol,

The pump I have is just the pump, it needs to be placed inside the TD5 pump-assembly which needs to be butchered. Hence the question if I can just keep the TD5 pump.
The fuel-gauge sender will remain the same anyway.

I will run the V8 system with a Megasquirt MS3X with a seperate fuel-pressure-regulator in the engine-bay. That regulator needs a feed and a return line. 

Edited by doezel

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Interesting - I've td5 converted my 110, and am unhappy with the inline 044 pump I'm running. Ideally it wants a lift pump and swirl pot but that is just more 'stuff' attached to the chassis to potentially fail. I think I'll try putting an EFI pump into the tank (original steel tank) and see if that works.