Shock (absorber) confusion

I'm confused.  I recently took my front shock absorbers (Britpart Cellular Dynamic) off my Disco, in order to add spring spacers.  They seem to have lasted well, about 7 years I'd guess?  Firstly, the shock body is too wide and fouls the spacer, but secondly (and more importantly) one of the two shocks was providing no damping when compressing.  So, I ordered a pair of replacements (Bilstein something or other).  Today, I picked up the Britpart shock and it works fine!  What might cause a shock to work sometimes, but not others?!

Most dampers need priming before fitting, which is exercising while orientated the right way up.  If yours had been tipped after removal but before you tested it, then gas may have been passing through the valves instead of oil.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Most dampers need priming before fitting, which is exercising while orientated the right way up.  If yours had been tipped after removal but before you tested it, then gas may have been passing through the valves instead of oil.

Yes, I wondered that since it had been laying horizontally on the floor.  Thanks.

The Britpart yellow shocks I had fitted appeared to At times have no damping at times, but rock the vehicle side to side and they would then start working, or you could hear the gas moving about. And they continued to work fine, only replaced as had to chop the rusted shocks off to change the axles during the rebuild 

All dampers hiss as they move.  I’m not sure if it’s the friction in the seals or the oil going through the valves.  Probably a bit of both.  Even gas struts hiss from the friction.