Why would an Allisport oil separator tank come in a Britpart box

Cornish Rattler

2 hours ago, simonr said:

There are some parts with truely dreadful quality control - but others that are fantastic!

Or is the problem - at least as far as BritPart are concerned - that the quality control is always dreadful? Quality control at the manufacturer varies (enormously, apparently) and for the majority of parts they supply you've no idea who the manufacturer is which makes it something of a lottery.

It's an inevitable consequence of a drive to low prices, in any industry - I work in web development, where many clients refuse to pay for the time to test software they have written. And are then surprised when it is delivered with bugs...

2 hours ago, simonr said:

Having been one of them, for me at least, this was not the case!

Nice to know.  A well known overdrive manufacturer has had a decline in reputation since, though.  Shame, because I like their product and it has served me well, but I got an early one.

2 hours ago, Red90 said:

You must deal with bad retailers.  The problem is not at the BP end.  Here on the other side of the world we buy direct from BP and BM.  BP is great for warranty and provides replacements fast and without any issues.  BM on the other hand is difficult to deal with on warranty claims.

We don't see much variation on aftermarket parts quality based on the wholesaler.  They are all hit and miss.  Most things they supply with OEM options and usually those are okay.

Your experience is different to mine. Island 4x4 and Paddocks for example have been a nightmare for honouring warranties on faulty items even with Britparts 'legendary' 2 year warranty (they no longer get my trade). Contacting Britpart direct just gets you fobbed off. At the least they could show interest in improving their shoddy carp but they aren't interested in the slightest (as a result they too no longer get my trade unless there is absolutely no alternative which is rare). 

I find LRDirect and Britcar excellent as retailers and so only deal with them now. I select parts as much as possible based on the actual manufacturer (i.e. Corteco, Hardy  Spicer, Timken etc) rather than the wholesaler and LRDirect and Britcar do a great job of helping you identify which of the wholesalerers that supply them I should buy from to achieve this. 

• Like 1

As I said, your issue is with the retailers, not Britpart. We buy from Britpart directly and they are great to work with on warranty. They send new parts right away without issue or will credit for OEM or genuine. So people blaming Britpart are blaming the wrong company. We buy a lot of stuff and the 2 year warranty is always honored.

I agree with using LRDirect as they list both the brand of the part and the supplier, so you have choice.

2 minutes ago, Red90 said:

As I said, your issue is with the retailers, not Britpart. We buy from Britpart directly and they are great to work with on warranty. They send new parts right away without issue or will credit for OEM or genuine. So people blaming Britpart are blaming the wrong company. We buy a lot of stuff and the 2 year warranty is always honored.

I agree with using LRDirect as they list both the brand of the part and the supplier, so you have choice.

I know what you are saying but when the retailer AND Britpart simply couldn't care less when both are contacted then why would I continue to use either or recommend them to others?! When parts dont fit out of the box or fail within a few miles of fitting there is little point getting a replacement anyway!

Anyhow. This is an old argument and done to death on here and the thread has been diverted enough.  

15 hours ago, Red90 said:

They’re blaming the wrong company for the warranty claim struggles, but they’re blaming the right company for supplying shoddy goods in the first place.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

They’re blaming the wrong company for the warranty claim struggles, but they’re blaming the right company for supplying shoddy goods in the first place.

I'm not really Snagger. I am having a moan about bad retailers and Britparts crappy products. I realise the warranty should be pursued with the retailer but BP dont care when you report a retailer who wont honour their warranty and a product thats not fit for purpose. Neither retailer nor BP are worth dealing with again. They both give each other a bad name. Its not worth small claims court level of hassle so i just use neither again! 

Edited by reb78

Whenever you buy a product, your contract is with the vendor, not their supplier.  Some contracts for expensive items will have a clause naming another business that will take responsibility should the vendor cease trading.  So, if you buy a bad Britpart component, it’s the vendor that has to replace or refund it.  They in turn are able to reclaim their losses from their supplier, and ultimately Britpart will be clawing back losses from warranty issues from their manufacturers.  So, unfortunately for us, it is not Britpart’s responsibility to make sure their independent retailers look after us properly - that is for Trading Standards and the small claims courts to enforce.  But I do agree that if Britpart didn’t ship so much rubbish, these retailer disputes and this conversation wouldn’t be happening.

From BritPart's point of view if you bought via a retailer and the retailer is failing to honour their warranty then it's purely a public relations matter. The only party breaking the law is the retailer.

They'll have judged that the costs of intervening every time a retailer screws a customer over one of their products is greater than the value of any goodwill it generates (or if you prefer, the reputational damage from not intervening). Given that despite the bad press it's hard to avoid buying BritPart they're probably right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As we as a hobby, keep out of date vehicles running, we find ourselves relying more and more on BP as the other manufacturers stop producing parts. There are still the commercial suppliers in the general car trade market but I don't know what their quality is like?

I find myself having to us BP unless I can afford Gen LR (some of which is a reasonable price) but it is such a lottery with BP, more so it seems when newer vehicle parts are concerned, none of the plastic parts for a D3 that I have bought from from BP have worked.

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2020 at 3:18 PM, Ex Member said:

You must deal with bad retailers.  The problem is not at the BP end.  Here on the other side of the world we buy direct from BP and BM.  BP is great for warranty and provides replacements fast and without any issues.  BM on the other hand is difficult to deal with on warranty claims.

We don't see much variation on aftermarket parts quality based on the wholesaler.  They are all hit and miss.  Most things they supply with OEM options and usually those are okay.

Agree about warranty. Bearmach wont cover bushes that lasted 6 days even though when given batch number they stated theres an issue with that batch. 

ive yet to have to send any britpart bits back.