Spare wheel on bonnet

Cornish Rattler

1 hour ago, Wytze said:

The spare for my 109 is 41.5 kilogram.   Not sure yet where that will go.

The work isn't complete, but on my 109 I am placing the spare wheel in the tub at the nearside rear corner. I think it will be the easiest point to access however much stuff is in the tub. Mine will be a truck cab but I think the position is best whatever style of bodywork is fitted, tilt or hardtop.
Of course it's for my convenience, it doesn't mirror a factory installation.

Regards.

Snorkel on the passenger side to be complimented by a periscope on the driver’s side...

I can’t see very well from the photos, but that looks like the plain bonnet with fittings added, rather than the dished bonnet that sinks the tyre down a little lower.  It’s one of those situations where an inch can make a lot of difference. 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

The work isn't complete, but on my 109 I am placing the spare wheel in the tub at the nearside rear corner. I think it will be the easiest point to access however much stuff is in the tub. Mine will be a truck cab but I think the position is best whatever style of bodywork is fitted, tilt or hardtop.
Of course it's for my convenience, it doesn't mirror a factory installation.

Regards.

A 35 inside a stationwagon is not what i had in mind😉    It will probably go on the back,  or mayby on the front bumper

Forget all this tyre nonesense, I want to know what you are bodging and then selling (top photo).

For what it's worth, I think you're making the right decision by removing it. If there was a serious accident, driver visibility is one of the first things looked at.

59 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

Forget all this tyre nonesense, I want to know what you are bodging and then selling (top photo).

For what it's worth, I think you're making the right decision by removing it. If there was a serious accident, driver visibility is one of the first things looked at.

19 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

It looks better than the chequerplate.

+1.

I suppose it depends on how you like your filth, only this is England for chrissakes?

I'm not a fan of spares on bonnets, and I'm a near 6 footer. In my book the way to go is a hassle to get right - mine's sat on 3-hinge rear door with a S3 dovetail-mount. A coiler anti-burst latch is swapped-in, hence two dovetails, it can't move or rattle.

Edited by Landrover17H

I am getting old and feeble so a bonnet mounted wheel is a no no.  It is in the tub at the moment but I am looking to build a rear mount bracket that picks up on the tow bracket bolts but inges in line with the talgate so that it could be lowered to open the tailgate or some kind of side hinged arrangement.

Peter

38 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

Would a Wolf style hardtop side mount work on a Series? Clearly this is a common issue, aside from being uncomfortably high mounted that might get it out of the way.

I'm not saying it wouldn't look pants. 

Yeah i think i will go for an inside side mount i think but will look into it over the weekend, i've seen it done in an swb before but not sure yet how i will do it 🙂

2 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah i think i will go for an inside side mount i think but will look into it over the weekend, i've seen it done in an swb before but not sure yet how i will do it 🙂

Mine on my series 3 lightweight held in with a tie down or small ratchet strap regards Stephen 

20201021_124917.jpg

4 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Would a Wolf style hardtop side mount work on a Series? Clearly this is a common issue, aside from being uncomfortably high mounted that might get it out of the way.

I'm not saying it wouldn't look pants. 

I’m not sure about the legality.  I was told the MoD are given a dispensation as a Crown entity, but I remember someone telling me years ago (when Wolfs were new) that C&U regs don’t permit it.  Could be complete rubbish, but worth checking before drilling holes in the side of your hard top!