Smoother running Tdi engine

On 10/21/2020 at 11:08 AM, Chicken Drumstick said:

Here are some performance metrics I record in 2019 (i.e. pre boost ring and manifold). I will re-run the same tests on the new setup and compare.

IMG_2254.jpeg

So, not really had chance to follow up on this.

I did re-fit my 7.00 x 16 tyres, as I was meant to be setting up an event this month. But that was cancelled due to the lockdown.

Only had one chance to run the metrics at the same location and recorded 11.5sec on the 50-75mph run.

I'd like to get some more runs in, but things were against me at the time. And the vehicle is now back on its 33.10.50R15's. So it will be something for the future. I have also discovered I have a binding rear brake, so this needs sorting too. But I hate doing jobs like that this time of year. So I'm not sure when I'll have it sorted for another run.

Lockdown regs also look to be making a dyno session in Jan unlikely too. However the initial run would suggest the stats support that it is running better than before.

3 hours ago, Badger110 said:

Well this takes me back, someone who actually owned a Buell! I worked for HD in thier service department for a few years and trained on Twin cam and Evo engines

Those bikes were a blast to ride, do you still have it?

I certainly do, some tweaking to the carb and a less restrictive air intake and silencer (but not an overly-noisy one) - and it goes like a train! The torque is a joy, third gear roll ons are unstoppable and rolling off the throttle in lower gears it sounds like an american muscle car!

Sadly wasn't on the road this year as I was too busy with other stuff (and lockdown) but am contemplating fitting an Imola style fairing I picked up for a bargain price - seen here just bungeed on for a quick look when it arrived (minus the plexi screen top), and not painted black yet.

I'm fed up with the wind buffetting at anything above 50 and I'm too old for heroics!  Its such a joy to ride it - vibrations vanish as soon as its rolling and the V-twin lollop along sensation makes it very pleasant.

apr20jmp35840.jpg

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

I think that's a Jota 180, mine was a Jota 120. Lovely bikes. The Monjuic was a lunatic machine - utter lunacy.  I had a 1981 Ducati 900SS after the Jota. That was fun. But so unreliable...  Then a number of Motor Morini

I'm not sure I always thought that was a 120 which had the much better nose than the 180. I think the Montjuic was used for racing, there were  a few lads into scaring themselves on the track in the central belt. Proper bikes though - solid metal, whirry bits and noise!

2 hours ago, Jocklandjohn said:

I'm not sure I always thought that was a 120 which had the much better nose than the 180. I think the Montjuic was used for racing, there were  a few lads into scaring themselves on the track in the central belt. Proper bikes though - solid metal, whirry bits and noise!

The Montjuic was simply a 500cc race bike, with indicators and a headlight - crazy ride

I had two Moto Morini 3.5's then a Camel (awful bike); then moved to Honda. I still lust after a Guzzi Le Mans 850

I have a 1978 Moto Guzzi leMans with a modified Spada 1000 engine on pumper carbs and Lafranconi pipes. I've had it nearly 30 years, heavy clutch and throttle, wonderful thumping effortless torque with the best sound track ever. Fast enough to scare me silly and a talking point for those in the know. Went for a spin round the Isle of Wight recently with the wife before lock down 2. Numb bums and lots of smiles! 

A friend had a lovely Jota, dropped on a diesel spill on a roundabout and bent the crankshaft!

Regards, Diff. 

20200910_132506.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Diff said:

I have a 1978 Moto Guzzi leMans with a modified Spada 1000 engine on pumper carbs and Lafranconi pipes. I've had it nearly 30 years, heavy clutch and throttle, wonderful thumping effortless torque with the best sound track ever. Fast enough to scare me silly and a talking point for those in the know. Went for a spin round the Isle of Wight recently with the wife before lock down 2. Numb bums and lots of smiles! 

A friend had a lovely Jota, dropped on a diesel spill on a roundabout and bent the crankshaft!

Regards, Diff. 

20200910_132506.jpg

I've a soft spot for Guzzis -  looked at a few rejuvenated ones recently on various bike sites and oh my they look wonderful! 

But yes that 'in the know' remark - I parked up in Oban one day an old lad with a stick hobbled along and stopped, looked at the Buell then looked at me and said. "Thats a Buell!" He was 84 or thereabouts and a motorcyclist all his life - he had three bikes at home in the garage he informed me, one a Vincent. But he wistfully explained... his eyesight had got so bad he'd lost his licence, but he launched into a full history of Buell, all about Erik Buell and Harley and on and on until his wife had to drag him away!

Real conversation starter old v-twins, dont get one if you dont like talking to people!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

The Montjuic was simply a 500cc race bike, with indicators and a headlight - crazy ride

I had two Moto Morini 3.5's then a Camel (awful bike); then moved to Honda. I still lust after a Guzzi Le Mans 850

You've certainly done the rounds of Italian exotica! Should have kept some of those....!

11 hours ago, Jocklandjohn said:

You've certainly done the rounds of Italian exotica! Should have kept some of those....!

I've always had a passion for Italian exoctica - cars and bikes. My three favourite cars; all well above my price range are the Lancia 037 (homologation edition), Alpha Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale and the Fiat Supermirifiori 131 TC Compressore.

numbers built in sequence 500, 36 and 200!

I had some interesting Honda's as well - including a CB400-4 and a 550-4, CBR100F, XL600LMF and aCBR1100XX (1996) Super Blackbird

9 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I've always had a passion for Italian exoctica - cars and bikes. My three favourite cars; all well above my price range are the Lancia 037 (homologation edition), Alpha Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale and the Fiat Supermirifiori 131 TC Compressore.

I had some interesting Honda's as well - including a CB400-4 and a 550-4, CBR100F, XL600LMF and aCBR1100XX (1996) Super Blackbird

Have you watched Harry's garage video on the 037? :wub: 

11 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Thats quite a line up! My pal had a 400-4 and that was a lovely bike, only other one I've been on is the XL600. I like those trail Hondas. One year I toured the USA on an XL175 with knobblies, a bum aching but glorious 12,000 problem free miles.

Fiat Mirifiori? Helped my mate put a 2.0 twin-cam engine pulled from a Mirafiori into an ex-Post Office Morris 850 van. It was an absolute hoot and would leave sports cars spluttering in its wake! Great engine!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jocklandjohn said:

Thats quite a line up! My pal had a 400-4 and that was a lovely bike, only other one I've been on is the XL600. I like those trail Hondas. One year I toured the USA on an XL175 with knobblies, a bum aching but glorious 12,000 problem free miles.

Fiat Mirifiori? Helped my mate put a 2.0 twin-cam engine pulled from a Mirafiori into an ex-Post Office Morris 850 van. It was an absolute hoot and would leave sports cars spluttering in its wake! Great engine!

My XL was an LMF. Wat you bought form Honda, back in the 80's , if you wanted to do the Dakar. Great bike, still going now, although it belongs to a friend

I had a 131 SuperMiri, but it had terminal rust. The Supercharged version is super rare. Check out the Abarth built RAlly version on You Tube