refitted doors but how to align?

SlickV8

so ive refitted my doors after a repaint and i'm going slightly nuts trying to get them aligned. Ive fitted anti burst locks and the doors seem to line up when closed but as they come off the latch [and before they go onto the latch when closing] they are both around 15-20mm low - is this normal or am i missing something? Ive tightened both hinge bolts and to be fair there is movement in the hinge so maybe it is normal?

thanks

door1.jpg

door2.jpg

It sounds like your hinges have worn out.  Replacements should fix it, as long as you don’t use Britpart, which come with that slack factory installed.  There are some decent brands available, and Defender hinges will fit  (and earlier Defender hinges are identical to SIII hinges).  Reconditioning kits for SII hinges seem much the same as each other and are cheap and usually work well.

sorry for delay, i.'m not getting reply notifications for some reason... for my sins I cant recall any movement with the old S11 hinges other than the doors were aligned when closed ...with a good heave. The new hinges are again S11 originals but with the mirror holes. I'm not sure if they've been remanufactured but they have new[?] door hinge pins. I've tightened them as much as they'll go but there's still movement through them; I'llll order a new kit and see if that makes any difference

The pic is for example only and isn't the actual one used

Thanks all

door hinge.jpg

Are the threaded plates still loose in the door posts ? Also how good is the fit at the bulkhead , height wise ? 

Has the rear tub been off and have you checked (with string along top of swage line) the alignment of the tub to BH posts ?

cheers

Steve b

Those sorts of hinges will always have some movement, a the pin and bottom but aren’t tight against the hinges but have a spring in compression to create a little flex.  There shouldn’t be too much easy slop laterally, though.  It may be that the bronze ball is undersized.  It seems unlikely that the steel hinge halves would wear their cups when the ball is so much softer.

• 2 weeks later...

sorted thanks all. i started again; refitted the locks and mounted the doors secured by the lock first then marked where the hinges fell [with the door straight], re drilled and boom - perfect in 10 minutes each side...just need tidy up the bulkhead pillars now :)

thanks for the replies