LT77 in military chasis clearence problems

youngengineer

I've researched this topic for the past 12 months and anticipate everything or atleast thought I did. I'm having issues clearing the bulkhead crossmember as the slave cylinder casting on the LT77 bellhousing fouls the crossmember. I've heard that the front xmember needed filleting in order for the front prop but nothing about the bellhousing... Could this be due to me being on a military chasis?

IMG_20201024_165420.jpg

IMG_20201024_172537.jpg

Hi , I had this issue and simply put a couple of 4mm aluminium spaces under the gearbox mounts ( I made my own engine mounts ) My engine etc  is 50mm further forward to help clear the bulkhead as well, @

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 92a said:

Hi , I had this issue and simply put a couple of 4mm aluminium spaces under the gearbox mounts ( I made my own engine mounts ) My engine etc  is 50mm further forward to help clear the bulkhead as well, @

I'm on standard series engine mounts. I've not yet fabricated the gearbox mounts. It feels to me as though the engine would have to go up a fair way tbh. Your idea of adding washers may just work but 4mm sounds a bit low. I think I would need at least 10mm just to avoid the bellhousing catching the crossmember as the engine was put under load.

Add some shims made of flat plate to the left engine and transmission mounts, between the brackets and the rubbers. That will move them up and to the right and will give you the clearance you need.

There are no differences between standard and MoD spec chassis that would cause or avoid this fouling.

You could try new mounting rubbers, just in case yours have squashed as they aged.  That would have allowed the whole assembly to sit low on the chassis.

• Like 1

It’ll only affect the level if you fit the shims with the right side mounting nuts tight.  If you slacken the nuts off and wiggle the transmission and engine with the weight supported by a hoist or jack, they will settle again in the middle of the V formed by the chassis brackets, you have just narrowed the V (forcing the transmission higher) and moved its centre a little to one side with the shims.

• Like 1

I don’t know much about the LT77 but is there just the one bell housing available for them? Would another version have the clutch slave cylinder in a different position?

How have you fabricated your gearbox mounts or at least set the height you’ll use for them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

It’ll only affect the level if you fit the shims with the right side mounting nuts tight.  If you slacken the nuts off and wiggle the transmission and engine with the weight supported by a hoist or jack, they will settle again in the middle of the V formed by the chassis brackets, you have just narrowed the V (forcing the transmission higher) and moved its centre a little to one side with the shims.

Thats a good point. Thank you. I shall report back.

12 hours ago, Snagger said:

The washer trick worked. I put three on top of the rubber engine mount and three below which gave the engine a nice lift whilst still being able to fit a nut on both ends.

Now the bellhousing clears the xmember with 20mm to spare. 

After 4 hours I still cannot get the box mated to the engine. No amount of pushing, pulling, prying will do it. I have chamfered the front of the spigot bushing and made sure the clutch is correctly aligned but still nothing.

I'm using two jacks and an engine crane to align the box but it does not want to know about it. Any tips?

Edited by youngengineer

I've had a similar problem and the clutch drive plate spline was slightly damaged , I always try them on the gearbox input shaft spline before using them now,  only takes a few minutes but I wasted several hours that day before realising

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, youngengineer said:

I don't think so. I've removed the remote to facilitate fitting. It should be in neutral. 

Get it in gear,  first or second will be fine.  If the transferbox is on, get that in diff lock. 

• Like 1

I've found that it's easy, if you are absolutely obsessive about alignment. Measure the distance all the way around and make sure it's 100% even.

If this is impossible, and it can be hard to get this, if you aren't using an engine crane and load leveler, then persevere, you'll find that when it does go on it will be quick. Two studs either side does help.

• Like 1

I finally figured it out. I was just about to give up after the 10th attempt and decided to take all the studs out and behold, the box went straight in with minimal effort. I noticed there was one additional stud which did not have a through hole on the LT77. You see, I had a S3 box fitted before the LT77 and it seems the bolt pattern was slightly different. Slightly embarrassing, two days later. Oh well. At least I'm really good at taking the box out now.

Edited by youngengineer
  • Like 1

Ok so the day was going fairly smoothly. I've managed to shorten the rear prop and start making the extended gearbox mounts. I decided to reinstall the remote which i had removed to allow better access and to my surprise there is now an issue with gear selection..

I'm getting some gears but not all.  5th and fourth seem ok, I cant seem to get first or second. The selection feels weird.  What should be neutral locks up the box completely and will stall the engine if I depress the clutch.

Clutch has been bled and is actuating correctly. This happens with the engine off also so its not a clutch issue. I have removed the remote and put it in a vice and it seems to be working as it should.

Any ideas? Please dont say pull the box again... Gear selection was working great just a few days ago.

IMG_20201028_163345.jpg

Edited by youngengineer

It sounds like it is putting two gears in at the same time thus locking it up?

Were the selectors in the correct position before you fitted the change mechanism? Someone who knows the LT77 should be able to tell from the pic I am guessing?

• Thanks 1