How to remove MOD paint?

rusty_wingnut

Hi all, I've recently acquired a Land Rover that's been painted over it's original factory colour with some MOD paint, and am looking for ideas on how to remove it? I would like to retain the original factory colour underneath, so things like blasting are out of the question. I've come up with the following ideas;

1) Nitromors or similar, and pressure wash off

2) Wall paper steamer over the body and scrape it off - my local car sprayer reckoned this would work?!

3) Find an abrasive byway

Now obviously 3 is out of the question, I'm yet to try number 2, but 1 doesn't seem to be doing much. Does anyone have any ideas?

I think you will do well to save the paint underneath completely intact with any of those three methods but you will be able to avoid going back to bare metal.

I have had a lot of experience getting paint off land rovers, both MOD applied paint and totally unknown paint! What I have learnt is this

1, What works well for one layer of paint can be completely ineffective to the next layer(s)

2, Nitromoors is now useless as the general public cannot be trusted with anything stronger. I use Starchem which dissolves all disposable gloves (hands etc) but takes paint off really well in most cases. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/362643943669?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=362643943669&targetid=4585375809051351&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=398226936&mkgroupid=1308419072120972&rlsatarget=pla-4585375809051351&abcId=2145997&merchantid=87779&msclkid=2280d5ceb5dc107989d78a596d70e4b6

3, Try different techniques with the paint stripper. Some paint will just blister up after you have left it on for long enough and you can then scrape/pressure wash off, other paints can soften but not blister and require abrasion with wire wool or similar to remove when soft, if you do not do anything they go back hard again. Sometimes two coats of stripper does the trick.

4, The environment you do this in is crucial. If too cold the chemical reaction does not work with the stripper. I also avoid doing it outside as the wind dries out the chemical and stops it working....you do still need a well ventilated space though

5, Make sure you wash everything thoroughly after with water to neutralize the stripper  otherwise it will ruin any paint you apply on top

Good luck!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

^^^Good advice.

Of all the jobs I've tackled on countless Land Rovers over the years removing umpteen layers of MOD camouflage paint ranks up there as one of the worse. Sometimes you get lucky and find the adhesion of the first layer or two to the factory finish isn't that great but often it's stuck fast like cats shyte to a blanket. Experimentation is key but if you try abrasion then don't forget to mask up, likewise with decent strippers, find gloves that are able to cope with the chemicals.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Go to your local car paint supplier and they will have the right stuff. From experience aircraft paint stripper works very well too. The trick is to apply and then cover with plastic/cling film and leave for a few hours. 

You will typically need some mechanical assistance too. A scraper works very well. Once you have removed the loose stuff a grinder with a wire brush will get the tough patches which will still be soft. You will not save the base layer in a condition worth using. Take it back to bare metal, then apply an epoxy primer for bonding and sealing top coat as desired.

• Like 2

Back in the day I took individual panels to a blast cleaners and left them to it. That said you have to have ensure they are experienced and use the right mediums the right way. Make sure they know the materials the panels are made from so as to avoid the tea boy going at it as if it was steel rather than soft alloy.

I don't think I could be bothered manually stripping old MoD cammo paint these days, especially under current circumstances, life is just too short.

1 hour ago, Happyoldgit said:

I don't think I could be bothered manually stripping old MoD cammo paint these days, especially under current circumstances, life is just too short.

You don't know what you are missing Steve! 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Must have repainted about 30 ex MoD Defenders, miserable job. The best thing I found for nato paint was polydiscs in a grinder - they remove a lot of material and don't clog.  Not really necessary to remove all the paint though, its a very sound base for painting once its smoothed off and the chunks and yard brush bristles have been plucked out.