Electrical Problem

kevin50

Sorry to ask on here but Ive loads of help with my Defender Electrics, couldnt have done it without Western.

Anyway I am helping my Son doing up his SJ, well he works away all week so its me doing all the bloody work.

So  Trying to fit new rear lights in to SJ, Got my head done in , problem is the New units have different coloured wires to the wires coming from Loom.
I can get the Indicator to work with either the Side light or the main light but not both together.
First pic is New wires on unit, second is the Origional wires coming from SJ.
Any Ideas.

Thanks

IMG_20201027_165519.jpg

IMG_20201027_165558.jpg

IMG_20201027_170333.jpg

Lucas-Wiring-Color-Code-Key_large.png.e37eda19a157c2858f0d3d90d3e34f86.png

Not sure if this colour code for lucas wiring helps, it is generic but a start. In the absence of an actual wiring diagram for the vehicle, I would get a test lamp or volt meter and see what becomes live when you power up a circuit one by one such as rear lights, brake light, reversing light etc and make a note which is which until you have them all. 

28 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Your going to need a wiring diagram for the vehicle to decode the loom, then it should be fairly straightforward to match up to the new lights. 

I know Mate but even if I find one IM hopeless at them, but will find one and have a go.

3 minutes ago, monkie said:

Lucas-Wiring-Color-Code-Key_large.png.e37eda19a157c2858f0d3d90d3e34f86.png

Not sure if this colour code for lucas wiring helps, it is generic but a start. In the absence of an actual wiring diagram for the vehicle, I would get a test lamp or volt meter and see what becomes live when you power up a circuit one by one such as rear lights, brake light, reversing light etc and make a note which is which until you have them all. 

Cheers will try and work it out

Just remember to make sure ignition on pos 2. 
I looked for brake light the other week.. swore blind I put ignition on, stick to press pedal down, back and forward making sure stick not popped out, called the wife out to help in end. Checked and double checked she knew which pedal to press (she’s been driving 30years), called her all sorts of names. 

imagine the names I was called when she pointed out ignition wasn’t on 

easy mistake but I had to cook dinner that night 

good luck

• Haha 3

I'm sure I've got the wires in right place on plug now, I have Indicators Main Light and Brake, But still no Side light, Only way I can get Side light to work with the rest is by splicing in to Number Plate light wire,  which is not fitted yet.

Could I do it this way ?

Thanks

OK Everyone Please forget this, I am really Embarrassed now, I have mistaken the Reverse lights on these new units for side lights, was thinking of buying one of those square reverse lights like the Defender ones,  thinking Im still working on Defender instead of this Bloody Sazuki SJ.

Really sorry for the hassle please forgive me.  

Got and old series lined up for my next project so hopefully get that in soon.

Thanks Evertone.  

• Haha 1