Restoring a Range Rover Classic

Hi guys, obviously a newbie here, I joined this forum because I'm a big fan of Range rovers.... 

I recently got my hands on a Range rover Classic, and I decided to build it from the ground up, it has a complete engine and transmission, but just needs a bit of body work and a engine rebuild (overhaul kit) , it's a V8 unleaded, took out parts of the engine to have a better look at the inside and well it looks bad but I got alot of time on my hands right now so I just want to get the engine running and then the other stuff later, I'd really appreciate your ideas and suggestions for this kind of project..

IMG_20201012_125616.jpg

Edited by Chrissy Boy
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum 

There are some in progress RRC restorations being documented on here and lots of people with experience of them too . 

That looks like an early one - mid 70's ? and presumably a 2 door ? 

More pic's please ☺️

cheers

Steve b

On 10/29/2020 at 6:12 PM, Chrissy Boy said:

Actually it's a 3 Door SUV which turned into someone's storage unit 🙄.... Anyways here's a few pics of the first time I went to have a look at it.... eventually got all the stuff out got it cleaned😁 

IMG_20201012_140551.jpg

IMG_20201012_125907.jpg

IMG_20201012_140622.jpg

Wow! You have a serious challenge ahead of you.

Kudos for taking it on.

Two suggestions, look on You Tube for Classic Range Rover videos on Soup (Shackleton in this forum) and 'Rover Tasmania', the latter covers a 2door.
This 18 page thread details the production of the Soup videos.

There is a 90 minute compilation Overview How I restored a classic Range Rover and saved it from the junkyard // SOUP Classic Motoring.

Regards.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2020 at 4:33 AM, Chrissy Boy said:

Thanks Fellas, quick question, where would I find refurbished parts for this kind of Range rover???

Well... I would start with repairing the steel under the bodypanels without starting to buy anything else. That can be quite some job already.

Many projects get stranded with a rebuild engine, refurbished driveline and nicely painted chassis on shiny new wheels... and.... having still a very crusty bodyshell... 

Body shell repair on a Range Rover Classic involves mostly straight forward metal fabrication, the biggest investment is effort. Most repairs can be made from sheet metal and made by yourself or made locally, the outer and inner sills for sure (which are very straight forward and always rusty/crusty for sure). Of course you can buy repair parts for the bodyshell which makes the rebuild (a bit) easier.

Edited by Carloz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe most of the body panels are available but you may not want to spend the money... a lot of it is not hard to fabricate, especially if you're going for "solid" rather than "100% factory original".

Someone's already posted a link to @Shackleton's Motoring Soup videos, those will show you how to fabricate repair sections for bodywork / chassis.

@retropower's thread on his Range Rover is an absolutely beautiful job, there's quite a few classic Range Rover restoration threads on the forum right now that could provide inspiration.

Urchfab on Youtube has a some good videos on welding & bodywork repairs too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1