Should it stay or should it go? 90 rear bulkhead??

So my 200tdi rebuild continues and I have moved on to body work. I am starting to refurbish and replace the panels on the rear tub.

Should I fit a bulkhead removal bar while I am at it? 

Can anyone post pictures of a fitted bar please (I think it will probably be a YRM piece that I use). Does it make much of a difference to space in the cab - I am 6'4 and although I have always found the cab 'cosy' I would not say I was cramped.

Are there any other positives or negatives to consider? 

Cheers

I did this alteration, though I did fabricate my own bar. Very similar to the yrm job but from 30x30 box - but I am not too precious about the truck! I also made myself some seat rails from 40x40 box section. The combination is great. I to am just under 6'4".

This combination allows me to move the seat further back but importantly allows the seat to recline more. I can adjust the seat to suit me, which is great as I suffer from a bad back.

I still need to finish mine as I am going to make some cappings to cover the box (remember I made my own so sure the yrm one will be fine).

Not a hard job to do but I used a nibbler to cut the bulkhead, so lots of tiny crescent shapes to sweep up. Otherwise I think I would have used a jigsaw as I did not want lots of grinding dust in the truck.

I can take photos if you like but it is a bit Heath Robinson!

Edited by Dr Strangeglove

• 2 months later...

I have the Protection and Performance type in my 109.  It does the job well and is very stiff, but it only a.lows a bit of extra seat movement, impinging on the outboard edge of the seat where it curves down from the B post upright.  I’d recommend the type Bigj66 has from Mudstuff.

2DB8C7D1-97E6-4B9D-B7AB-28CB61C20492.jpeg

Hi Mean Green,

The only negative is if you ever want to go down the route of turning it in to a pick up in the future (which is what I did 1) cosy winters 2) look cool 😁) you will need to reinstate it again. Given your height that's probably unlikely to go that route. 

Thankfully I kept everything I removed originally and reinstated it with some cosmetic chequer plate over the top both sides 

I still have the bar I removed (think it was mudstuff)  which I can take dimensions off of if you want to draw it out on your bulkhead.

HTH for your planning. 👍🙂

Cheers 

G

Edited by gruntus
Cak grammar

7 minutes ago, Dr Strangeglove said:

I made my own. I am around 6'4" and it made a difference for me - but I also made seat risers from 40mm box section.

I think I may benefit from a smaller diameter steering wheel, mostly for getting in and out.

I have a removable steering wheel and MOMO (boy racer) steering wheel which does make it easier getting in and out.

Cheers

G 🙂

Thanksfor all the comments.. bulkhead has gone. After watching a few YouTube videos and posts on other forums I decided I like the 'clean' look of a full removal, so i got the deletion bar from Rimmer. I also cut away the flanges that are left on the seat boxes to give a finished look. It is part of a full tub refurb which includes new skins and panels all round. Pretty happy with it so far - just need to find someone who doesnt want the earth to spray paint it for me.

I should be taking more pics of the rebuild- but I keep forgetting!🙄

• Like 1

The wheel arch sections have spot welded flanges that are upward and inboard where they meet the bulkhead.  These are always left in place to keep everything rigid, but they are in the way and a potential source of damage (to equipment and occupants alike), so I bonded and riveted aluminium angle and bent sheet strips underneath the wheel arches to form the joints and then remove the original internal flanges for a neater and safer finish.  I think it’s worth the small extra effort.

Snagger - exactly what I did too. Makes a huge difference and once soundproofed and carpetted will be great.

I was luck that I had the side skins off so I could easily get in with a grinder. Trying to cut them out with sides in place could be a pain.