Lockdown Projects

Cornish Rattler

I just got a spare Lt230 that I am going to rebuild so it is ready for when I put in Ian's defender 200tdi with the R380 stumpy. I also need to sort out that Salisbury I got from Miketomcat before I have no more teeth left on the one that's currently on! 

Land Rover related, I have a lot of little jobs to sort on my 110 300TDi. I am fitting a Spafax mirror to replace my broken MudStuff XL where the plastic snapped inside. I though it would be straight-forward, as I removed the top hinge at the door side (to thread the wire back in) but I found that the hinge pin as a slack as a slack thing. So waiting for a new hinge which will need painting.

I am going to remove my front diff as I am sure its worn. That will be a first for me.

I also need to reduce the noise from my Eber D2 heater which is disturbingly noisy on start-up and for as long as it stays on full bore heating. I don't know why it is so bad but I am going to experiment with exhaust position relative to the pipe it's connected to.

Have the MOT booked in a couple of weeks but that's straightforward nowadays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

I am going to remove my front diff as I am sure its worn. That will be a first for me.

Thought about which way you're going to do it yet? Take the swivels/brakes/shaft and all off each end of the case? or strip each outer end? Having built up my swivel on the bench It was bad enough putting that on the axle without having to align the shaft! :lol: Oh and that was without brake disc too.

7 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Having built up my swivel on the bench It was bad enough putting that on the axle without having to align the shaft!

You big Jessie. They're not that bad. If I can manage it with office muscles I'm fairly sure you manual labour types should be ok. Far easier that stripping the whole lot down piece by piece. Plus it only needs to slide out a few inches just to clear the diff.

• Haha 1

I bought a Fairey overdrive via Gazzar last year, but there is a lot of insecurity in the company at the moment (another 400 of my peers got put on 12 months unpaid leave two days ago, joining 1500+ previously made redundant since June, plus all the other staff in other roles), so I can’t really justify the spend on an item I intended merely as a project and don’t plan to later use.  I do want to build up a front diff for my 109, though, and already got two good late Discovery diffs locally for a total of £40, a 4.1 gear set from Nige for £100 and plan to get an ATB (many of you replied to my daft questions about which to go for), hopefully early next year.  We’re not in lockdown out here, but getting the parts back from the UK is going to be difficult as I won’t be able to come and collect them!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Thought about which way you're going to do it yet? Take the swivels/brakes/shaft and all off each end of the case? or strip each outer end? Having built up my swivel on the bench It was bad enough putting that on the axle without having to align the shaft! :lol: Oh and that was without brake disc too.

1 hour ago, daveturnbull said:

Plus it only needs to slide out a few inches just to clear the diff.

I have previously pulled the shorter side off as a whole and I have just enough room to pull it right out I think. On the longer side though I'm not sure. On that side of my garage I do have the width if I use the underside of the workbench which is 'open' but I'd be faffing around with the weight whilst bent double underneath the bench. So I might try to rest them on small stands as Dave suggests.😃

What I didn't mention is that I have found a 'hidden' Series 2a with full tilt from March 1964. I don't think it has moved for many years as DVLA say untaxed since 2011. It might be one of those that the owner says is "going to be put back on the road" but I would like to approach him. The only problem is that Mrs Peaklander is not really understanding my pleas of "it would be an investment anyway, even if I don't get round to doing it".

• Like 1

Since lockdown finishes on Monday the only "lockdown project" will be the Defender's MOT. Plenty of other projects on the go such as workshop first floor, sandblasting the house. Once there's some spare time then a little 1UZ engine shall be being worked on...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

I bought a Fairey overdrive via Gazzar last year, but there is a lot of insecurity in the company at the moment (another 400 of my peers got put on 12 months unpaid leave two days ago, joining 1500+ previously made redundant since June, plus all the other staff in other roles), so I can’t really justify the spend on an item I intended merely as a project and don’t plan to later use.  I do want to build up a front diff for my 109, though, and already got two good late Discovery diffs locally for a total of £40, a 4.1 gear set from Nige for £100 and plan to get an ATB (many of you replied to my daft questions about which to go for), hopefully early next year.  We’re not in lockdown out here, but getting the parts back from the UK is going to be difficult as I won’t be able to come and collect them!

Sorry to here that Nick :(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Sorry to here that Nick :(

Thanks.  So far, the group I’m in looks like it’ll be ok, though we lost 200 in June (they were all folk with a target painted on their backs by management for some perceived transgression).  But yes, a lot of colleagues are in it up to the eyeballs, and the same with several friends back in the uk and Hong Kong in the same job.  The travel industry is a bit squiffy at the moment!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, missingsid said:

You have to watch out for the swivel to move changing the centre of balance so it spins and catches your hand!!

Wedge the brake pedal down with a lump of wood or similar.