Hydraulic winch and PTO questions: Mile Marker or not?

henk

So bought myself an hydraulic winch without knowing the exact type. There is a number on and a  CE mark and probably a production date (03 08) but that's it.

Winch has the high/low handle als well as the freespool one.

There is documentation with how to connect it and they talk about a H12, so I assume it could be a Mile Marker H12

Picture:

The documentation also talks about an AML pto. Some googling here tells me this could be an Alfred Murray Ltd pto but I can not find any pictures

Picture of the pto below

More questions: the pump is a 25cc one, is this enough to get reasonable linespeed?

Thanks for shedding some light

winch1.JPG

Schema1.JPG

pto3.JPG

pto2.JPG

pto1.JPG

Edited by henk

Don't recognise the winch itself but I thought H12 and H14 etc. were Superwinch models. The PTO unit ooks like the FF4x4 offering , very similar to mine. 24cc sounds small to me I think progress is likely to be steady rather than rapid.

25cc would be approx 62litres per min at 2500rpm so not too bad . What cc/rev is the motor ? the MM is 6:1 or 1:1 motor to drum . 

The line force can be worked out with the max pressure at full flow - usually around 170-180 bar for that type of motor.

cheers

Steve b

Thats a mile marker with a low power motor for running off pas pumps.

You need a bigger motor for pto drive ..I use one on the rear of my 90 and pto mm is very quick and powerful set up fit.

1/2 pipework needed and a 20 ish litre sump tank 

I use JCB control blocks with on neutral reverse levers  on my front and rear hydro winches 

Lots of money to get working properly 

The pas powered mm are sloooooooooow to a point you won't belive

• Like 1

The motor is a high pressure motor so will run with the PTO pump but is unlikely to be optimised to match the pump flow.

My rear Hyd. MM is a standard kit motor on 1/2" bore pipes to the PTO pump via the spool valve and works very well but could certainly be optimised to match the pump to get max. speed and pull , but I don't use it for competitions .

cheers

Steve b

2 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Thats a mile marker with a low power motor for running off pas pumps.

You need a bigger motor for pto drive ..I use one on the rear of my 90 and pto mm is very quick and powerful set up fit.

Nige, there is no mark at all on the motor so how do I know it’s a low power one?

It’s a complete package including a hy-pro v5-60 valve, over centre valve, all tubes but with a small about 6 liter tank

So just had a closer look at the motor, type is MR 100 SH/4

This gives me 100 cm³/rev with max revs of 600 => it can handle 60 liter/min

This is in line with the 26 cm³ pump  and the V5-60 valve

Pressure is cont. 175 bar

• Like 1

The biggest pain with Milemarkers is that there is no support in the UK now. I've never needed anything (15 years and counting, only issue I've ever had was the belt to the pump stretching with age and slipping) but if anything went significantly wrong it would basically not be worth trying to fix and I'd probably get another Goodwinch TDS9.5.

Upsides of the MIlemarker are that it'll shift a house and shift it all day long. Downsides are that you'll need all day to shift it, with a low gear line speed of about 2m/min, unless you go for a full PTO system, and then you can't drive-assist. There was talk of producing a high-flow chain-driven pump off the front of the engine, but I don't think it ever appeared, Alfred Murray was the distributor but long since gone.

• Like 1

You're not limited to a PTO-pump if you want a faster milemarker, any pump of similar (or larger) size will do, you just have to find a good way to drive that pump. I've had chain drive, belt drive and direct drive from the crank pulley, all with pros and cons. I'll go for another belt driven pump on the project Range Rover, because it doesn't need to be very fast and it's an easy install. And with any load it will easily better most electric winches.

I do agree support is a bit of a problem. I know www.firsfour.co.uk still have some supplies, but they can't order any more parts. And I'm still looking for an exploded view of an H12 to rebuil my fire damaged winch. I do think I have all the necessary new parts, but it's been over 2 years since taking it apart, so getting it together again will be a challenge.

Filip

30 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

First Four Offroad took over the dealership form Alan Byrne (Alfred Murray) - they do still have some stock and Peter Lamb is happy to assist - nice bloke and a proper engineer

Red can supply motors if required

I am in contact with Peter Lamb already, indeed nice bloke, he sent me all documentation about the kit.

Found locally a new 160cc motor so can play now to see what is the best setup

• Like 1