Replacing manual steering box bottom seal early 110

I'm in the process of replacing the power steering system in my 1987 110 with a manual steering box.  The manual box (Gemmer, six bolt) seems to be in good condition (smooth, no discernible play in the shafts, nice splines) but it does drip from the bottom seal.  I realise that could indicate a worn shaft but it could also be a hard, dry seal as it's probably been unused for years.  

I have ordered a new seal but am unsure about removing the old one.  I have taken the drop arm off and cleaned it up.  It looks like you just prise the seal out from the outside and push the new one in but I can't be certain.  I have absolutely no enthusiasm for pulling the whole box apart to fit a seal internally as I don't enjoy chasing ball bearings around for many hours.  Can anyone tell me definitively how it's done?  Thanks in advance.

(For the inevitable head-scratcher who may be wondering why I would abandon power steering, it's an 18J motor that has the box and reservoir on the right but the pump on the left.  There are a lot of pipes and even more connectors and they are all crimped.  An increasing number are leaking and the cost of getting them replaced is way beyond my budget.  I'm now in the position where the 110 is supposed to be my general purpose car and I can't leave it as is.  I've used manual steer 110s and other Land Rovers for years and, it turns out, I'm strong enough to handle it...)

I had an early C reg 90 twenty or so years ago that I converted to 200tdi with a proper defender engine. That had the manual Gemmer steering box and it was lovely and light and with a nice direct steering.

You can tell how long ago I had it as when the head gasket went I sold the whole vehicle for £300!

14 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

I had an early C reg 90 twenty or so years ago that I converted to 200tdi with a proper defender engine. That had the manual Gemmer steering box and it was lovely and light and with a nice direct steering.

You can tell how long ago I had it as when the head gasket went I sold the whole vehicle for £300!

We had a very early V8 110 with that box.  Nobody ever complained about the steering.  However, travelling quickly along an uneven road, you did have to move the wheel a fair bit to keep it straight.  Probably because it's geared so low it's five turns lock to lock!