has anyone strengthened their own rear trailing arms...

freeagent

i'm rapidly going off the idea of raising the suspension on my Disco, as it seams it will compromise road handling, especially when i've got the rooftent on, and from what i have read the only springs that can be regarded as being of similar quality to genuine parts is old man emu, and i cant afford OME at the moment...

so, i've deceided to source some genuine H/D rear springs, and beef up the rest of the suspension where needed...

looking around underneath the truck, it strikes me (and i know people who've had problems with this) that the rear trailing arms are a bit of a weak point and easy to bend...

i know i can get heavy duty cranked ones, but i don't want cranked ones if i'm going to stick with the standard ride height..

does anyone do H/D straight arms, or has anyone sleeved theirs....

I had been thinking that they could be improved in some way...

any idea's?

i'm rapidly going off the idea of raising the suspension on my Disco, as it seams it will compromise road handling, especially when i've got the rooftent on, and from what i have read the only springs that can be regarded as being of similar quality to genuine parts is old man emu, and i cant afford OME at the moment...

so, i've deceided to source some genuine H/D rear springs, and beef up the rest of the suspension where needed...

looking around underneath the truck, it strikes me (and i know people who've had problems with this) that the rear trailing arms are a bit of a weak point and easy to bend...

i know i can get heavy duty cranked ones, but i don't want cranked ones if i'm going to stick with the standard ride height..

does anyone do H/D straight arms, or has anyone sleeved theirs....

I had been thinking that they could be improved in some way...

any idea's?

i sleeved mine but cranked them at the same time so had to cut mine at the crank point lots of weld at each end no problems worked for me :blink:

mike

Guest diesel_jim

I'd crank them, even with just plain HD suspension without any kind of "lift", you'll notice a performance increase in axle droop.

on my 90, i fitted a pair of the Equippe4x4 ones, and after playing with the tape measure, i noticed an immediate 1" extra acle drop just by changing the arms and thus releaseing some of the stress on the rubber bush at the chassis end of the arms.

on my 110, if i fit the HD bearmach "blue" springs i've got, you can see the chassis bush trying to "peel" itself apart, and that's just sat on a flat road, let along trying some kind of axle acrobatics! :)