200tdi Boost help

Is it a defender tdi or a dicvoery tdi engine? Where you have the boost gauge plumbed in it is showing what the turbo is giving out but not what the inlet will be receiving. You could have a boost leak or collapsed pipe somewhere. I have mine on my discovery tdi engine plumbed into the inlet plenum so you can see what it is actually getting and then will know if it is leaking anywhere

Only thing I have done on mine is twist the standard pin and put a bigger intercooler and it goes much better.  The pins you can buy require more setting up and the plastic spacer adjusting sometime to get them to work properly

Hope that is of some help  

Jon

1 hour ago, Chambo110 said:

Fellas

am i correct in thinking it’s a case of making a small adjustment, going for a drive and see what I get then adjust until I reach desired psi ?

also, if aiming for 1 bar.. do I need to adjust pump at all ??

Thanks 

Thats how I would do it. You can increase fuelling to match the increased boost. I found that adjusting the fuelling led to an increase in boost so its just a case of small tweaks until you get to where you want.

My advice is to do a little more reading before fiddling - see the PDF I posted in this thread. 

(adjusting the boost pin in the pump and the boost via the wastegate will probably be sufficient. I found very little gain messing with the starwheel. The 'max fuel screw' on the back of the pump just needs small adjustments but I would leave it alone unless you have done everything else and want more. An EGT gauge would be a useful reccomendation. I dont have one but perhaps have been lucky).

Also - as Nonimouse said service the engine, change all the filters, check the valve clearances, potentially get your injectors serviced too. Make sure all of this is good as you will find gains here too.

Edited by reb78
  • Like 1

Ive started already.

tried initially 1 full rotation of rod.. no difference 

add another 2 full rotations.. I think i see 11psi

add another 2 full rotation and I think it sometimes scrapes 12psi.

not much thread left on rod now and I’m not gonna go cutting things as some places suggest.

jon

99% sure it’s a defender tdi.. 

gauge is plumbed into the pipe that arches over top of turbo.. same as Ralph’s I believe.

All pipe work changed for new silicone not long ago and very little mileage since. Pipe from from of turbo to air filter not been changed so I guess that’s an option to check .. how do I do that ??

Reb

i see that write up somewhere.. I don’t intend to play with any fuel settings just yet 

besides.. I’ve now found a water leak from somewhere behind the fan pulley.. assuming that’s the water pimp?? 

That could well be yet another post from me 😉

time out.. going for a poo and lunch.. not necessarily related or in that order

One thing after another with these bloody vehicles. Still it could be worse, I could be indoors with her watching a place in the sun 🥱 

Sound like a very similar story to me last year - the boost was set really quite low, and I have no reason to suspect it didn't come out the factory like that. I found I couldn't get anywhere near 3000rpm, so I tweaked my rod length as per below and it solved the issue.

2101409052_rodlength.thumb.jpg.0a0a80dbd869a4dcf40b38e78f9e0baa.jpg

Ive started already.

tried initially 1 full rotation of rod.. no difference 

add another 2 full rotations.. I think i see 11psi

add another 2 full rotation and I think it sometimes scrapes 12psi.

not much thread left on rod now and I’m not gonna go cutting things as some places suggest.

jon

99% sure it’s a defender tdi.. 

gauge is plumbed into the pipe that arches over top of turbo.. same as Ralph’s I believe.

All pipe work changed for new silicone not long ago and very little mileage since. Pipe from from of turbo to air filter not been changed so I guess that’s an option to check .. how do I do that ??

Reb

i see that write up somewhere.. I don’t intend to play with any fuel settings just yet 

besides.. I’ve now found a water leak from somewhere behind the fan pulley.. assuming that’s the water pimp?? 

That could well be yet another post from me 😉

time out.. going for a poo and lunch.. not necessarily related or in that order

One thing after another with these bloody vehicles. Still it could be worse, I could be indoors with her watching a place in the sun 🥱 

I found that as I increased fuel, boost also went up so needed to lengthen the rod again if it went above what I was aiming for. If I got black smoke I backed off the fuelling instead. 

21 hours ago, reb78 said:

Thats how I would do it. You can increase fuelling to match the increased boost. I found that adjusting the fuelling led to an increase in boost so its just a case of small tweaks until you get to where you want.

My advice is to do a little more reading before fiddling - see the PDF I posted in this thread. 

(adjusting the boost pin in the pump and the boost via the wastegate will probably be sufficient. I found very little gain messing with the starwheel. The 'max fuel screw' on the back of the pump just needs small adjustments but I would leave it alone unless you have done everything else and want more. An EGT gauge would be a useful reccomendation. I dont have one but perhaps have been lucky).

Also - as Nonimouse said service the engine, change all the filters, check the valve clearances, potentially get your injectors serviced too. Make sure all of this is good as you will find gains here too.

I've got an EGT gauge.... regularly goes over 800 degrees..

• Like 1

Was it an easy fit?? I worry about drilling into things 

Its not that difficult - you have to be careful of how you go about it due to its location but its as easy as drilling a hole tapping it out and screwing in a fitting. The casting drill quite easily and its not that thick.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:03 PM, western said:

200tdi boost pressure should be 0.85 bar, I set mine at 15psi which is just over. Check the hose for fit fit & make sure it doesn't have any leaks. 

Ralph 

Did you do yours with the rod or a bit of pump tuning aswell ??

Thanks 

38 minutes ago, western said:

Just by adjusting the wastegate actuator rod, my FIP is at standard factory setting.

Hmmmm?

I done 5 full rotations of rod now no Fip adjustments from how I found it, and it’s barely showing over 10psi. Probably got approx 6-7mm of thread left from memory.

i worry about going much further without an egt gauge.

rpm now fitted and working but I need to get that synced properly. ( no timing light)

got the throttle cable adjusted so ticking nice n slow without being too close to stall and set rpm gauge at 850ish

2500rpm on dual carriageway in 4th foot to floor and boost shoes 10-11max ..

do I just need to be brave and add a couple more turns to rod or be safe and get egt fitted and boost gauge checked to make sure it’s reading correct 

I have checked for leaks with soapy water and nothing that I can see 

thanks 

0.85 bar = 12.328207707 psi

so at  11 psi = 0.7584233022 bar your not at the factory setting yet, as you have not tweaked the FIP, I don't believe there will be a excessive egt problem, 

mine is set to a fraction under 15psi on my psi boost gauge, no egt gauge.

conversion done on https://www.unitconverters.net/pressure/bar-to-psi.htm