200tdi Boost help

2 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

What Sigi said, higher boost keeps the EGT lower. Nice big intercooler helps too.

Glad the boost controller has made it easier, Chambo. 

How does it drive now ? You still have the fuel pin fitted ?

For others following, the mumby controller on ebay is of a suitably agricultural design to fit right in under a Defender bonnet 🤣🤣

Mo

Yep steggys pin still fitted. Goes well I think. Other than a little puff on start up I haven’t noticed any big black or white clouds behind me.

might have to get the wife out to observe though as when going forwards at speed I prefer to look the same direction 

cheers

23 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

It is said, that a decrease of intake temp of 5°C makes minus 50°C EGT. Don't know, if it's right, but plausible. Intercooling is important

Interesting - so if the intercooler cant cool more then the temp introduced by compressing then you may do more harm than good by increasing boost... I wonder where the sweet spot lies with the standard setup - i.e. is the 0.85 bar it for the factory 200tdi or was there a fair bit of leeway on that?

• 10 months later...
On 11/12/2020 at 2:20 PM, Mo Murphy said:

Leave the rod length standard and use a manual boost controller to adjust your boost pressure.

Much easier to get at and simple to fit.

Shortening the rod is so last year.

Mo

20200628_171056.jpg

Just came across this thread (missed it previously) and its very interesting! Where did you get this controller Mo? Are they engine-specific or one-size-fits-all? Seems like a more civilised way to adjust/manage boost than with the threaded rod which has an inherent desire to destroy your finger nails!

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

Yes that’s the one I got and it was recommended by @Mo Murphy I think.

Mine is a 300 TDi and I fiddled until I got about 1.1 / 1.2 Bar and have left it alone since. 

Grand stuff!

33 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

That's the one I use John, it's design is suitably agricultural to fit in with the 200tdi 😁

Mo

"Agricultural" sounds just perfect! Thanks for the confirmation. I think thats a really useful thing. And its NOT what I thought - some uselessly elaborate and complicated device - rather a very simple and elegant solution to a right old faff!