Heavy Duty Chassis?

reb78

Haha. So no real point! That is the conclusion I kept coming to. One thing (and I cant be sure as I only saw it on one website) was that prices in some places, for the XD HD chassis, were cheaper for the HD version. I suspect that was not correct. 

23 minutes ago, western said:

only has 3mm thick steel instead of the normal 2.5mm. still prefer my Marsland chassis. 

Whys that though Ralph? I have seen the XD ones and they look perfectly functional, correct crossmember for year and fair bit cheaper than Marsland. A local place that changes chassis near me have used Marsland, Richards, Sheilder and XD. They reccomended XD - I was just chatting to them they werent trying to make a sale. They said Sheilder were not good, Richards variable and Marsland expensive. 

Edited by reb78

Marsland told me that they buy them from GKN and then modify as requested to allow 300 TDi mounts, metal fuel tank or V8 variants.

They only ever manufactured the Series chassis and for Series 3 that was eventually using the original jigs when LR offered them.  I don’t know why or exactly when they stopped doing that.

Edited by Peaklander

They stopped doing 109s in around 2004 or 2005 - I have one of their last, and it was misjigged - the dumb iron spring bolt locations were different from side to side, the rear spring mini-outriggers for the rear shackles are 1/2” different, the engine mounts and gear box cross member are around 1.5-2” aft of where they should be (and they galvanised the chassis with the cross member fitted, so the bolts are welded in place), and the tub floor support hoops were incorrectly positioned so the front end of the tub was 2” high on the left and 2.5 on the right.  Trust me, you don’t want anything Marsland made themselves,

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

Aren’t the Marsland chassis genuine GKN units stripped and galvanised?  Maybe the current stock weren’t made by GKN, but by Marsland with the GKN tooling, but either way, they are correct spec and detailing.

But does this make them 'better' than the alternatives? There must be hundreds (thousands?) of alternatives from the likes of Richards being driven around out there without problems. The XD website seems to suggest they use GKN main rails and build the rest around them, Richards rails are welded on all corners (doing away with the two C sections of the original design)... As long as they are well welded, holes in the right place and square then what makes one better than another in chassis terms?

I think you will find that the Serie2 and 2A chassis were 4 plates welded at the corners; the two C section welded top and bottom were a later development.

As long as they are well welded, holes in the right place and square then what makes one better than another in chassis terms?

You cannot rely on all those aspects being covered all the time, by any manufacturer.

Regards.

3 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

I think you will find that the Serie2 and 2A chassis were 4 plates welded at the corners; the two C section welded top and bottom were a later development.

You cannot rely on all those aspects being covered all the time, by any manufacturer.

Regards.

I don't really understand your point... so don't buy a new chassis from anyone? I should have been more specific about the C section comment - It was in reference to the defender chassis. I am not sure why the thread is talking about series chassis now...

Edited by reb78

Having a genuine replacement non galvanised chassis on the 90 for 10 years now and been happy with it in all respects I'd get the same again but galved next time so I suppose I would go with Marsland.

Not that I need a new chassis mind ! Thank God because they are all fearsomely expensive now !

Mo

• Like 1

You get one if you ask. I just wanted everything in order and have it all on file in case I got asked about the chassis change at any time.

It also helped when the installer claimed the chassis was out of spec until I found out he was measuring it with a wooden ruler!!! Turns out the chassis is spot on and now know the installer was a complete dipstick. It took me ages to fix his other cock ups! 

Toby

• Confused 1