I'm considering a new Defender.  I've been watching spewtube videos and reading articles on JLR general reliability.  Some ugly stories out there.  My nearest dealer for purchase, service and warranty issues is 100 miles away.  I have wrenched all my life but electronics diagnosis is not my forte.  Given that, if you were in my boots would you buy a new Defender?

People rarely rush to the internet to tell everyone the thing they just bought works as expected, so the bad news stories stick out.  There are always teething troubles with brand new models though, and I guess anything of a similar class/size/capability is going to be more prone to the odd glitch than a nissan leaf. 

• Like 1

At this stage of the new defender's life i think its more a case of whether you like the car rather than how reliable it is. As Eightpot says, there are always glitches with new cars and its still way too early to comment on long term build quality. Personally, I dont like them having test driven one but until there are thousands on the road with hundreds of thousands of combined miles you won't know how likely they are to give you issues.

• Like 1

I saw the OP is in North America, where distances to Dealers tend to be larger than here in the UK.

This led me to wonder how far it was to the Dealerships of alternative vehicles, if you do not buy the Defender?
If they are all about 100 miles away, the distance can't really be part of the purchase decision.

The predictable advice is 'buying a high end import is always likely to be expensive', especially when the LR reputation in reliability surveys is taken into account.

I wish I could be more positive.

Regards

Can you not lease it rather than buying it?

If it's leased and it goes-wrong then the issue is between the lease-company and the dealer: OK, it was 3 decades years back but when I was working in the US I leased a car [a Chevy Corsica.... ugh!!] and when it went wrong I called the leaseco and said "it's broken - send me another" and they did within six hours.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 9:40 PM, totomojo said:

I'm considering a new Defender.  I've been watching spewtube videos and reading articles on JLR general reliability.  Some ugly stories out there.  My nearest dealer for purchase, service and warranty issues is 100 miles away.  I have wrenched all my life but electronics diagnosis is not my forte.  Given that, if you were in my boots would you buy a new Defender?

Nope

Not a chance.  I’ve just been seeing a friend who has a Discovery Sport and that came back from the garage for more repairs yesterday.  It has been in for warranty work several times per year since they bought it new.  LR reliability is disgraceful, but new models are always worse (for every manufacturer).  I’d at least give it a couple of years for LR to figure out what the weaknesses on this one are and get the spares logistics up to speed if you’re really set on it, but I’m convinced it’ll set a new low on the global reliability surveys.  Besides, the UK just announced that no pure ICE vehicles will be registered from 2025, and the EU is looking to match that, so support for the car after that point will start getting harder and the resale value will plummet.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Snagger said:

... the UK just announced that no pure ICE vehicles will be registered from 2025, and the EU is looking to match that, so support for the car after that point will start getting harder and the resale value will plummet.

The OP is in North America, do you really think the USA (or Dubai for that matter) will follow the UK time frame?.

I also thought the date was currently 2030, and that referred to NEW fossil fueled vehicles, so one bought in 2020, or 2021, should have a good few years to run.

Regards.

Yes, 2030, has been reported somewhat disingenuously by the media, as actually, hybrids will be allowed until 2035.

And none of this is retrospective, so they won't be crushing old cars just because they have an ICE.

7 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

The OP is in North America, do you really think the USA (or Dubai for that matter) will follow the UK time frame?.

I also thought the date was currently 2030, and that referred to NEW fossil fueled vehicles, so one bought in 2020, or 2021, should have a good few years to run.

Regards.

When the main markets become restricted, yes, I think there will be problems with parts for the other markets.

7 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Isn't it 2030?

No.  It was, but 2025 is the new target for the UK from this week for the cessation of pure ICE vehicles.  Hybrids a little longer.

It was originally set at 2040 but in Feb this year that was changed to 2035.

This week is was (surprisingly) brought forward to 2030. I haven't seen any report that says 2025.

Thanks for the comments and advice.  Where I currently live (basically in the center of the US) all domestic and Japanese brands, BMW and Mercedes are within 10-15 miles because its a prosperous area.  I think I will call the nearest Land Rover dealer (the one 100 miles away) and see how they would handle repairs and service.  I've talked to Porsche owners whose dealership is the same distance away and for service the dealer sends a courier over with a loaner car, swaps vehicles and then reverses the swap when the service is complete.

22 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Pretty sure it is 2030:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54981425

100 miles to a dealer is local for many in the U.K. and especially in the US and other larger countries. 

You’re right.  The UK govt has brought it forward 5 years, but I forgot the original date of 2035, based on EU policy.  It’s Norway, not the UK that is banning ICE sales from 2025.