Exhaust Change - 110 300 Tdi

Hi Folks,

Lining up some jobs to keep me occupied during the dark nights.

Thinking of replacing the exhaust (All front and rear sections) on my 1996 110 300 Tdi - It's still has got the original fitted exhaust and had an advisory MOT before last about corrosion.

Torn between replacing like for like or to go for all stainless. All stainless looks attractive (other than the perhaps price) but have come across a number of stories related to fitment issues, etc...

Looking for some advice/experiences of whether going stainless would make sense, what to watch out for and any recommendations on suppliers.

Many thanks!

Simon...

1 hour ago, western said:

My Double S system on my 200tdi engined 110 has been fine since it was fitted about 18 years ago. 

My Double S rear section(through Britpart) is cheap carp that doesn't resemble the original is dimentions or shape and I look forward to the day I can scrap it

2 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

My Double S rear section(through Britpart) is cheap carp that doesn't resemble the original is dimentions or shape and I look forward to the day I can scrap it

Interested to understand this. What is the relationship here between Double S and Britpart? Are "Double S" the manufacturer? Not least they appear to be around £560 - Although a part number of DA4229 suggest this is Britpart? Confused.

Edited by simonpelly

9 minutes ago, Litch said:

Years ago I bought a Double S SS system for my 300TDi and it went straight back, poorly made and was smaller CSA than the genuine system it replaced.

Recently fitted a Demand Engineering SS system to my 300TDi, nicely made.

Thanks. Will take a look 🙂

18 hours ago, simonpelly said:

Interested to understand this. What is the relationship here between Double S and Britpart? Are "Double S" the manufacturer? Not least they appear to be around £560 - Although a part number of DA4229 suggest this is Britpart? Confused.

Turns out Double S make replacement systems for both Britpart and Bearmach

Bosal still makes a D1 200 replacemnt system, that's actually OE

Demand stuff is amazing - beautiful - but very expensive and so very, very far away.

My intention is to have a local fabricator (who does food grade work for dairies) make me up a back section, with me suppling the silencer.

• 2 weeks later...

On Wallace, I replaced the front downpipe with a non flexi one, (which will probably never rust thro), , replaced the center box with a cheap stainless straight thro pipe (which will never rust thro) and just replace the rear section every 3-4 years ,for about £25-£35 ish.  owned Wallace for 14 years now.   

I have had to replace two “stainless” straight through pipes in the past - the pipes may be (poor grade) stainless but they are welded to mild steel flanges via a mild steel mating piece which rotted away in less time than it took for the Britpart rear silencer to rot away.

I had a DoubleS system on my 109.  The pipes corroded and got ugly scabs, but they stayed strong.  The muffler box stayed shiny.  The joints were all mild steel, as mentioned above.  I was disappointed in the cosmetics over the years. I could probably have got reasonable results polishing it up, but it worked and seemed robust.  I have heard a few stories about their mufflers being blocked or disintegrating, though.

16 hours ago, Yostumpy said:

On Wallace, I replaced the front downpipe with a non flexi one, (which will probably never rust thro), , replaced the center box with a cheap stainless straight thro pipe (which will never rust thro) and just replace the rear section every 3-4 years ,for about £25-£35 ish.  owned Wallace for 14 years now.   

"Wallace" - That's a great name for your Defender.

• Like 1