Hah, I will re-word :)

I had no clear idea of who was being spoken about by anyone on this thread, though I would have been surprised if it had been Ashcroft.

I was more surprised by Dave's (Ashcroft) reaction on here, but then I guess we are all allowed a momentary slip. :)

1 minute ago, Nonimouse said:

Bowie, whislt you are about, is that chap in Wedmore still re-building boxes?

Last I heard he wasn't doing LT230's any more, but that may have changed. He did mine years back, no complaints. These are them, not far from you: https://www.gearchange.ltd.uk/services/

• Like 1

Just in case it is Ashcrofts that we are talking about, may I redress the balance a little by saying that I've had 2 LT77s from Ashcroft Transmissions, the first did 50k fault free before I sold the 90 and the second more recent has done about 7k now without problem.

The second had a problem that was noted on collection which Mr. Ashcroft bent over backwards to resolve in 24hrs.

It's difficult for me to fault the quality of his products or the quality of his customer service.

I realise others may have had problems but this is my own experience.

Just saying.

Mo

*sigh*

My conversations wasnt about Ashcrofts - it was about a much bigger, older company, that at one time was the 'Go To' place for Land Rover box rebuilds

One of a number of folk who assumed it was about Ashcrofts, thought it would be fun to give Mr Ashcroft (the younger) the heads up. 

He (David) assumed I was talking about him - I wasn't.  He then fired off a broadside

Hopefully the trouble causing scrote, who made an assumption and thought to cause trouble over it, will have his privates slammed in a door repeatedly. 

• Like 1

I was also thinking Nonimouse was referring to Ashcrofts.... As I don't know of anyone else other than Syncro, and was surprised. I've not yet used my rebuilt LT230, my only gripe being the lack of plating on the external bolts on the LT230. Friend's LT77 became a bit notchy a year or so out of warranty and was replaced FoC. 

• Like 1
On 11/18/2020 at 3:12 PM, Nonimouse said:

Concerning the possible supplier - who I've always had the utmost faith in.

About 6 years ago, a friend, who owns a bearing suppliers, was offered a job lot of high quality Spanish bearings, synchro rings, seals and gears, all for the re-build of the R380 type box.

He bought them as it was at knockdown price.

They were part of a cancelled order by 'a well known gearbox manufacturer' as they were 'now buying from cheaper sources in Turkey'

He's still got a fair few of the bits

Business is business - if you can reduce your overheads enough to cover returns and still make a profit - then fair enough

Will he ship to South Africa?

I need to refresh the R380 I just bought to replace the failed one in my Disco.

2 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

Will he ship to South Africa?

I need to refresh the R380 I just bought to replace the failed one in my Disco.

I can but ask

I also assumed that Ashcrofts was the company in question and I was thinking that's a shame as they always used to use only quality parts, so I can't blame Dave for being a little upset and I'm glad he decided to clarify the situation. I agree in that not naming a company can actually lead people to make the wrong assumption which is of course worse in the long run. I'm in flavor of sharing experiences with companies both good and bad.

• Like 3