RAVE has stopped working on my PC.

David Sparkes

The current story:
The other day I was prompted to fire up RAVE and discovered I'd get the Reader v4 splash screen, there is a pause, then the splash screen disappears, and that's it, nothing.I've been running RAVE CDs on my PC since 1999.

The backstory:
Initially (1999) I ran the CDs themselves, but soon found it easier to copy each CD onto the hard drive.

I've got versions 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, and 19, plus one or two oddball items like the 'Archive CD' which covered the Classic Range Rover, etc.

Initially the Operating System was XP, then I jumped to Windows 10 a few years ago.
Always I'd go into the folder for the CD I wanted, then double click 'RAVE.exe'. Adobe Acrobat reader v4 would open up and away I'd go.

I manage all OS updates manually, but keep reasonably up to date.
I am left wondering if it's an Adobe update or a W10 update that has stopped the v4 Reader starting, so I thought I'd ask if others have had a similar experience.

Regards.

Ha!

I actually contributed to that thread!! I must be getting old 🙂
While writing my question I did wonder if compatability mode was the answer - it turns out it was - now tested and works.

I had also wondered if it was something to do with the withdrawal of Reader support in Dec 2020, but we shall have to wait and see on that one.

Thanks again to the younger folks.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I thought everyone just used the extracted PDF's with no software requirement beyond a PDF reader of choice?

Everyone ELSE perhaps, I had the CDs so I used them, this approach also gives access to the Technical Bulletins, and all other miscellaneous files on the CDs.

Regards

4 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I thought everyone just used the extracted PDF's with no software requirement beyond a PDF reader of choice? :ph34r:

I much prefer the navigatability of the proper RAVE tbh. But the PDF is nice to use on my phone.

• Like 1

I'm still struggling with this, I haven't had a working Rave since the old laptop was re-assigned ... my new-ish W10 tablet didn't have Adobe on it so just put that on, and downloaded a reasonably manageable version (~680mb, as this is a carp internet area). I can't see compatibilty anywhere ??? Right click gives me menus such as these....

2010500001_Screenshot2020-11-22163318.thumb.jpg.7d2ecfd742eb7f033199027d01f8710d.jpg

.... on none of which can I find 'compatibility'. Sorry to be thick lads, but any extra suggestions welcome.

2 hours ago, Blanco said:

I'm still struggling with this, I haven't had a working Rave since the old laptop was re-assigned ... my new-ish W10 tablet didn't have Adobe on it so just put that on, and downloaded a reasonably manageable version (~680mb, as this is a carp internet area). I can't see compatibilty anywhere ??? Right click gives me menus such as these....

2010500001_Screenshot2020-11-22163318.thumb.jpg.7d2ecfd742eb7f033199027d01f8710d.jpg

.... on none of which can I find 'compatibility'. Sorry to be thick lads, but any extra suggestions welcome.

Those are the properties of the folder, not the exe.

Sooo,... been having another crack at this ,... have noticed the zip folder is titled 'static' so I think its only meant to be read as dead pdf pages, there certainly doesn't seem to be a .exe anywhere within. Does anyone have a link to a full working version please, I have been scratching around and everything I find seems to be dead/old/missing. The tech archive doesn't seem to have one either?

• 9 months later...