LT230 speedo transducer

garryc

I've got a later LT230 with the digital speedo sender which I need to convert to a manual sender to link to my Lightweights (series 3) speedometer. I know I need to think about the number of teeth etc; and i'm really grateful for previous posts on the forum advising on formula to work out which one I will need based on diffs and tyres. But my initial question is can I simply replace the electronic transducer with a geared one which will take a series  speedo cable? Or am I looking at this wrong and has anyone a better suggestion? I do want to keep my series speedo. I've looked at digital and GPS but I'd like to retain the look of the series dash.

As ever, thank you for your kind assistance.

As Ralph says. The end of the transducer just replicates the square drive of the end of the speedo cable. What is the end of a series one like? I wonder how the series and early Ninety/OneTen ones match up. 

If you get stuck, I might still have the speedo cable clip hanging around in my assortment of LR junk valuable parts.

Series speedo cables have a circular plate with three screws to clamp the cable,  the later fittings use a single bolt and a "U" clamp that fits the rim of the cable. It may be possible as Western says. In fact it is worth seeing if the round plate on the Series cable will clamp under the "U" clamp as is?

Link on this very forum!

Speedo cable - LT230 to Series 3 speedo

• Like 1

12 hours ago, garryc said:

I've got a later LT230 with the digital speedo sender which I need to convert to a manual sender to link to my Lightweights (series 3) speedometer. I know I need to think about the number of teeth etc; and i'm really grateful for previous posts on the forum advising on formula to work out which one I will need based on diffs and tyres. But my initial question is can I simply replace the electronic transducer with a geared one which will take a series  speedo cable? Or am I looking at this wrong and has anyone a better suggestion? I do want to keep my series speedo. I've looked at digital and GPS but I'd like to retain the look of the series dash.

As ever, thank you for your kind assistance.

I did this recently. You have to file the end of the series speedo cable down to fit into the defender gear and then secure it to the LT230 using the correct clip and bolt.

8AE7B7E6-4776-4F81-9C3E-BF226AECEB52.jpeg.3a5663e2f0e27231d85f56219da183c3.jpeg

15F4BF9E-8DB5-4CE0-85B1-6673CFADD8D4.jpeg.57c3de0cdb86106abff0588236e26def.jpeg

• Like 1

I removed the digital speedo drive from a disco 1 box and found that the square drive cable on my 90 was too large to fit the "digital" gear. I had to remove the gear housing and replace the gear (which I planned to do anyway to correctly match the tyre size). So I assume that the digital speedo drive gears are not compatible with the cable drive gears and visa versa. However, as posted above I suppose filing down the cable is another option. 

On 12/1/2020 at 10:58 AM, tuko said:

For a correct reading aren't you suppose to replace the Black drive gear with a Blue one? ....... I will be installing a Disco t'case in my Def soon and this was my understanding. 

Todd.

I’ve done that on mine 👍

• Like 1