Charging with a split charge

reb78

The 110 isnt getting much use at the moment. I ought to charge the batteries. The main battery is difficult to access (under a RRC seat in the battery box). The aux battery is easy to access. They are linked with a T Max split charge. Is there any reason why I cant manually link them on the T Max controller and connect the charger to the aux battery? Its an old style dumb charger. 

i had been told its not a good plan as each battery has its own health as such.

what i did on my 90 was stick an anderson socket on main batt so its easy to connect to from outside seatbox.

having said that i stuck my 90 on charge at rear anderson socket off aux batt - split charge - main batt for 12 hrs a week and no ill effect.

if i was being smart/less lazy i would disconnect aux batt from main after fitting anderson socket to main in an easy to reach spot, and do one charge on aux, one charge on main per week.  

I don't have a split charging system set up yet, but do find it a right pain to access the battery to charge that I don't do it as often as I should during periods of little use. I plan to set up some remote terminals that pop out of the seatbox with just a simple plastic cover on for easy access for charging and jump starting other things so I don't have to keep getting under the seat and sliding the hatch open. I took inspiration from my BMW as it has a similar set up because the battery is in a really inconvenient place covered by a mountain of plastic and stuff in the engine bay by the bulkhead. 

12 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Could you connect the charger to the starter and chassis? Would that actually work?

Possibly, but its an old charger and the clamps aren't insulated etc so I will be bound to short things out that way!!

I have ordered a CTEK MXS10 this morning - it will be handy to have a decent proper smart charger and it comes with fly leads that I can connect to the battery under the passenger seat for easy access for charging. I should have done this months ago really. The 110 is normally in daily use. I doubt it has had four tanks of diesel through it since March!

3 hours ago, reb78 said:

I have ordered a CTEK MXS10 this morning - it will be handy to have a decent proper smart charger and it comes with fly leads that I can connect to the battery under the passenger seat for easy access for charging.

I have that arrangement - connected to my Starter battery. It's very convenient using the Ctek plug and socket arrangement. The flying lead socket just pokes out from the top of the front vertical panel of the seatbox.