TD5 transmission - oil leak

boaterboy

I've got an oil leak in my TD5 transmission at 117k miles.

Although I can see where the drip is on the floor I'm having a job tracing the source.

I thought I might start by checking oil levels in each of the units, ie gearbox (manual), transfer box, front differential, to see if there has been a drop in level thereby indicating the source.

Does anyone have a better way of finding the source, please?

Also, I'm not sure how much oil I may have lost whilst underway, should I find a drop in oil level in one of the units how much of a drop in level is possible before serious damage is done?

Hi, As I'm sure you are aware -each component you mentioned has it's own oil supply. Have you changed them since owning? If so you'll know they were full and when you check again you'll see which one has lost any.

The only certain way to see where the leak is comming from is to thoroughly clean everything and then keep checking for traces of oil.

Make sure your breathers aren't blocked as well - causing a pressure build up and helping to force oil out.

HTH,

Griff

Transfer case and diff oil can be identified by the smell, most times.

If your car has a cooler fitted, check the lines for chafing, mine chafed through and I lost the transmission due to no oil.

Your best approach would be to clean everything underneath, service the levels and drive it for a few days to let it drip again, so you can follow it easier on the clean parts.