Vapour 101 camper

miketomcat

I need to stress this is very much vapour at the moment. I've been watching a Leyland/DAF t244 expedition truck based channel on YouTube yes I know it's bad for me but I'm bored. This led to various ideas most scary, but I got to thinking 101 ambulance/radio body based camper. It would need to be self contained and sleep 4 plus dog. So what's out there, who's done it and what am I missing.

Mike

• Like 1

I reckon what you need is something like a 101 but with a bit more boot-space, maybe like a stretched 101, but maybe with portals and an extra axle to spread the load...

6x6s.jpg.92640450cb3936b01b0543267c45e4cf.jpg

Seriously though - a 101 camper, splendidly mad though it is, is going to be an utterly masochistic way to travel whichever way you slice it, and I don't think they're even cheap to buy these days.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So to some psychotic ramblings of an idiot..... I'm waiting to move house it isn't going smoothly so I'm bored very! Those of you that know me will understand that mad cap ideas are something of a specialty..... The DAF is to big and requires a different licence. Other 4x4 trucks under 7.5ton are expensive and rare. 4x4 vans are a bit small and oh my god expensive. The Pinz is really ugly and the Volvo is either the same size as a 101 or 6x6, much as I'd love a 6x6 running costs are going to be on the high side (6 of everything). 

101: it's a land rover and I know land rovers, I've always fancied one. Yes bigger would be better but I think I could extend the back end which would gain precious inches. The 101 is taller than the Pinz or Volvo (I'm 6'3"). I would need 4 seats up front but figure this could become a double bed that puts bunks for the girls either on one side or across the back leaving room for a toilet and kitchen area. I don't know if I could make the front seats swivel to create a dinning area. 

What are the main parts that are a problem to source and do they become historic vehicle at 40 ie tax/not exempt.

Mike

Remember a 101 has a load of rare bits - the axles aren't fitted to anything else, the swivels are welded on, the wheels are 6-stud, bodywork is exclusive to them, etc... it's not the same as running a normal Series or Defender. Funnily enough it shares a couple of bearings & seals with the Volvos. Honestly by the time you've tacked an ungainly rear overhang on a 101 you may as well have the radio-bodied 6x6 Volvo (box on back, full standing height).

Also - what are you seriously going to do with a big tall heavy 4WD camper that you couldn't do with a cheap 2WD van / luton or 7.5 tonner? A lot of green lanes are out (height/width), you're not doing anything gnarly because it'll either tip over or sink or get damaged / throw the contents around... and I say all of this as the owner of a big tall 4WD camper.

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

I'm quite accustomed to driving noisy uncomfortable vehicles.

free2.JPEG.9ee7d3b8457ab0ed5760d0d0c485a14c.JPEG

This was my daily for nearly two years.

Mike

You have to admire this level of crazy. My daily before my 110 was a 1972 Morgan 4/4, which is a limosine in comparison. That said a 101 is still not an ideal basis for a camper for 4, although I suppose there is as much room as a VW bus.

Morgan in Snow (2).jpg

• Like 1

The Volvo is definitely not out of the running. But it wouldn't be the radio body for all the mentioned reasons.

I simply can't bring myself to own a van based "normal" camper (though a 4x4 van base with a box body I not out of the question). 

The main reason for asking about 101's is I'm on this forum and looking at feasibility. I understand that axles are special but no more than Volvo's. Drivetrain as far as I'm aware is relatively standard land rover or at least can be. Body is easy to fab it's all flat panels.

Mike

I should add I've been looking into a Oz style caravan over the last year or so and whilst this would fit better for most trips I do as soon as a ferry is involved it gets pricey. Also my father in law lives in Bulgaria and my step brothers in Greece. So England to Italy, boat to Greece then up into Bulgaria and home is on the cards at some point so not towing and being able to just stop for the night has definite advantages.

Mike

8 minutes ago, steve b said:

What about converting a 130 to FC layout ? Starting with a bare rolling chassis would allow you to build to suit your requirements

The thought has occurred to me but it's a hell of a lot of work and you would more than likely trigger IVA. Plus it would be even more bespoke than any of the above.

Mike

16 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Remember these guys?

No IVA trigger, very standard drivetrain, axles, 1200Kg to do what you want with?

Not suggesting you use their £12,000 kit, but I am sure you could come up with something?

Ok I'll humor this a little say 130 chassis. Then mount a 7.5 ton lorry style cab (double cab might be better) and a refrigerated box body.

Hmmm this could work......

Mike

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, steve b said:

What about converting a 130 to FC layout ? Starting with a bare rolling chassis would allow you to build to suit your requirements

47 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

The thought has occurred to me but it's a hell of a lot of work and you would more than likely trigger IVA. Plus it would be even more bespoke than any of the above.

The Carmichael FT6 used the same basic idea, based on the 109" Series 2A chassis. This created a 4 door Fire engine or a 2 door support vehicle. The majority were 4 door (4 seat) versions, for these the existing front bulkhead remained where it was, the windscreen being removed. A second front bulkhead was mounted roughly where the front bumper was, the bumper being removed and new chassis legs welded on, both forwards and sideways.
Complete new 'inner' wheelarches were formed, with flat plates fashioned on top, these became the seat bases.
Steering changes were minimal, the longitudinal tie bar (steering box drop arm to the steering relay top arm) was swung through 180 degrees. The leading end engages with the steering drop arm, and ran back to the existing steering relay. This set the position of the standard steering column and wheel, the column passing through the front mounted bulkhead as normal.
Everything else was rearranged to suit, but that's the basics.
Chassis, engine, axles, and suspension layout remained the same, although the spring specifications changed to suit the new demands, so IVA would not be called for. The bodywork and glass ware was bespoke.
The standard chassis gives a high floor, which means no standing room in the back, even though the FT6 roof was about 5" higher than a standard 109.

For information only as I think it's still a lot of work 🙂

Regards.

1000 miles is a long way in a 101, and I still don't see what you're gaining for all the pain compared to a nice comfy 7.5 tonner or a 3.5t Jap crew-cab pickup.

The big common bits on a 101 are bits you'd throw in the bin anyway - namely the 3.5 V8 + LT95... and 1000 miles is a long way in a 200TDi powered brick, especially if there's hills...

If you want interesting, an old (normal) ambulance is a decent base, like a more interesting Luton van. Or there's some damn good <7.5t Magirus Deutz 4WD fire appliances for <5000 euros, some even have PTO winches.

For another spin - How much do you have to save on the occasional ferry crossing to make it worth having a massively compromised vehicle the rest of the time Vs just building a decent trailer you can tow behind your Ibex and thus have a perfectly practical Ibex to tool around in the rest of the time? A trailer costs nothing when it's parked up. I've commuted in the ambulance on occasion and carting your home-on-wheels around day to day can get a bit cumbersome.

• Like 1

Some nice 101 campers.  These are professionally fitted out and are all based on the GS.  The Ambulance is too top heavy, too ungainly and too ugly.  A radio body is too rare to modify.  The red version is along the lines being suggested with an extended rear end.

395472759_101040.jpg.d58f219556ae02fe35e4d068b769653f.jpg

36.jpg

101 027.jpg

101 028.jpg

101 camper.jpg

295.JPG

296.JPG

101-1.jpg

06062010019.jpg

aussie8.JPG

DSCF6010 (Small).jpg

july2013trip0002.jpg

23 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

1000 miles is a long way in a 101, and I still don't see what you're gaining for all the pain

I have driven them over that distance in one go and in one day and they are far from a pain.  If properly insulated they are quiet, the ride on the highway is fine.

• Like 1

The red one is along the lines of what I had in mind. I'm still not sure if I'd get 4 beds in but I'm/the wife is creative enough to figure something out. Having towed extensively I don't mind it but it is limiting and your more likely to need campsites.

Do I need a camper? Not at all. However I'm likely to end up building either a caravan or a camper so hence exploring the idea. If I build a camper it will be 4x4 or 6x6 because I have the idea to travel further afield when the kids have gone and I'm not good at the beaten track.

Mike

• Like 2