Vapour 101 camper

miketomcat

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

all these >5t overland trucks you see people build.

Yes !  Everywhere I look at the moment I see massive wagons being repurposed for overlanding. Many of them old and ex service or utility vehicles. 

They look pretty indestructible- but it makes me wonder what the spares market is like for them? And even where they can get in them, they look fine on a plain - but huge to take down a mountain track or into a forest. 

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I saw that one - glad they were suitably prepared with supplies & comms equipment and no harm done.

Does make me wonder about the utility of all these >5t overland trucks you see people build.

I’ve always wondered that…. The bigger you go, the ever smaller number of passers by that could pull you out. 

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I saw that one - glad they were suitably prepared with supplies & comms equipment and no harm done.

There is ongoing argument on that - no Satphone carried so unable to contact anyone other than to set off their Personal Locator Beacon, also proceeded against advice of impending bad weather and not enough fuel to turn around and return to their start point when the weather closed in.  Other than by air, no one can get near the vehicle due to ground conditions.

On 11/21/2021 at 7:41 PM, landroversforever said:

I’ve always wondered that…. The bigger you go, the ever smaller number of passers by that could pull you out. 

Agree totally,... any bigger than a 109/110 or a troopy and it gets out of hand.  A ground anchor and sweat should be all that's required?

• Like 1

Not just their practicality, but their cost - the base vehicle, kitting it out, maintenance, insurance, shipping and fuel would all be brutal, where you could just pack lighter and spend the money on good food, museums, art galleries, entertainment and what have you to really enjoy the trip, or do longer or more frequent trips instead of one limited excursion.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2021 at 2:43 AM, garrycol said:

There is ongoing argument on that - no Satphone carried so unable to contact anyone other than to set off their Personal Locator Beacon, also proceeded against advice of impending bad weather and not enough fuel to turn around and return to their start point when the weather closed in.  Other than by air, no one can get near the vehicle due to ground conditions.

Ah I hadn't heard that part of the story - certainly I did wonder about the wisdom of ploughing through conditionslike that on your own in the middle of nowhere in a big heavy truck. I guess *some* comms is better than none but also if you can afford to load your family into a truck like that and drive them into danger you should probably splash the extra on the backup plan.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...