cv thingies

Tonk

has anyone ever managed (read mad enough) to try and put a cv into a series swivel housing?

if so, wot did u use for shafts? and wot machining was involved to hub/stub axle?

i'm not holding my breath on this one :blink:

Why bother Mark , after how long it took you to break the Uj. I would leave it

I take it you already read about the TI Console bits?

cv-kit.jpg

Not sure how much wider the Stage 1 axle is, I think it does not run 4.7:1 (3.5:1?) diffs, but if it's only marginally wider it could mean that you could loose the packing spacers behind your wheels which would bring your wheels back into track.

Saying that, how would the cost of spares for a Stage 1 axle compare with buying new TI Console......

Stage 1 v8 axle bits and you're done.

Grem

anyone got any i can look at? i need to know my brakes will mate upto it all

They should as externally they are like series axles exactly. The only difference is the stub axle which runs late bearings like the coilers (i had an early series 3 axle).

My front axle was built up from bits and pieces off a stage one axle. To convert your current axle you need the swivels, shafts, outer swivel housing and stub axles, the rest is all interchangeable. I then had to get late series hubs to make it all work as mine were early ones.

Sorry no pics of the bits, all i have is a pic of the upgrade to 1 ton brakes, but if you need any more info let me know.

Grem

I think the TI kit is only 10 spline.

I've never understood why the bother producing an equally weak 'uprated' shaft (ok, it might be decent material and heat treated, but even so.

If you're gonna do some upgrading, then go AT LEAST 24 spline.

Tonk - how about being the first to throw some CTM UJs in your series axles? : ) (See Pirate for info).

Al.

Do you know of anyone who has ever broke a so called weak 10 spline shaft when they have used a gkn strengthened version?

Gwyn has run them for years with 35" Simex and not broken one and as far as I am aware he has had one customer slightly damage one when another component broke but has never had one break.

and outers?

cold better today then? ;)

24 spline outers and 6 bolt flanges, should fit you setup if series 3 outers. I have also read that the stage 1 cv is stronger then the 110 cv, but the price also refelects this, stage 1 cvs are hellishly expensive bought new! If i ever do break one, which i doubt, as they work at a lower angle at full lock, then its back to the drawing board unless i fit 110 ones

I guess best bet would be to try and fit CTM's, but i doubt they make them in such a small size as series U joints are. Going this route might also bring out a new weak point, the shaft yokes.

Grem

Tricky for you............... :o Imagine me in the middle of the Med trying to source all the bits from there! :( I think i still have some contacts of people who wanted to sell a couple of axles in the UK. Try putting a wanted advert on most of the LR related forums and you will see that a couple will pop up, thats what i did.

It was thanks to somebody in the UK that i managed to put mine together, by getting only the bits i needed to convert to a cv setup, as shipping for a complete axle would have killed the whole idea.

I am sure you would also be able to find a complete rusty stage one vehicle for a very good (bargain) price in the Uk and pinch all the bits you need. ;)

Grem