Land rover garage illuminated sign

Saed

Hi guys,

I'm new to this, I'm hoping someone can help,recently a friend sold his parts shop and gave me a few items from the shop as new owners are not continuing wirh parts sales, long story short, i got a British leyland land rover illuminated garage sign, I've been looking all over the internet to get an idea on value, can someone advise, thanks I've attached a pic

16077853298075005190136530139925.jpg

1607785380643167407322908491000.jpg

16077854036523141893330848703361.jpg

7 hours ago, Michele said:

Oooh, I'd love one.

May I ask you? What are the other items?

Hi, I've got random stuff from cleaning products to paint sprays, i need to organise it all, just this item looked interesting and thought might have some value

9 hours ago, Saed said:

Thanks guys for feedback, I've seen stuff like this sell for silly money, just don't know if this valuable, can't seem to find anything similar online

Well the easy test is to put it on eBay and see what it sells for :ph34r: but that can be a bit of a carp-shoot as people who'd be interested in it may not be scouring ebay all the time for that sort of thing. Antiques/memorabilia dealers like that Drew chap off the telly, or classic/race car auctions etc. might have a clientèle who'd be willing to pony up very strong money for it - there's chaps racing classic touring cars in SD1's who I'm sure would have it.

I'd love it in my workshop too but I'm sure it's worth more than I'd be willing to pay for it.

• Thanks 1

I don't think this sign is going to 'take off' .... the ones that do always have period design and or rare  or desirable features. This one doesn't have the iconic green oval, the Leyland sign dates it fairly neatly but it isn't a period that anyone remembers fondly with regard to LR, and its construction/shape/design is unremarkable and fragile. The market for it I suspect is the enthusiast (as have already chipped in above) and that probably limits it to the £200 bracket.

As above stick it on the bay with a starting price or reserve that you want and see how you get on.

Makes me feel all nostalgic.

It dates from the time I was an apprentice in the late 70s.

There were a number of them hung round the showroom to indicate the different marques we offered as a British Leyland dealer.

I remember them going in the skip when the name was changed to Austin Rover, early 80s..

It's a bit of history that should be saved, it's only worth what someone will pay though, my limit would be about £50 if I saw it at Sodbury.

Unless the OP is set on turning a profit, the motor museum at Gaydon is the place for it.

It's not "vintage" (40s, 50s, 60s) enough for the kind of automotive memorabilia that's the most collected, so it'll jar with other items that are commonly grouped together.

It's also quite difficult to mount in most garages as its double sided so really needs to hang from a rafter or something in the middle of an area. That's going to look pretty awkward and I'm sure most of us want more headroom clearance, not less! 

Cutting it into two signs as suggested above would make it far more attractive/sellable as it can be wall mounted and the electrics updated (LEDs too, but would need to be a suitable colour temp), as well as doubling your take.

Just my opinion, ignore it you want.

38 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Is this a sales thread?

Thats not how i read it bit there clearly could be potentially interested people on this forum. Let it run, its interesting seeing what folk say. 

Edited by reb78

4 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

British Leyland signs dont fetch the same figures as the earlier make types.

These days it's probably just as retro as an old Austin / Morris / Rover sign TBH, there's Vauxhall Vectras running in the classic touring cars at Silverstone, it's enough to make one feel old...

If I had the money I'd make an offer on that sign myself as all my vehicles are BL era but I suspect my offer would be doing @Saed out of its true value by some margin.