RRC VM 2.5TD issues

jako

Hi All! 

New to the forum and hoping someone could help me out :) 

I've had a leaking IP for a few months and finally decided to get it replaced. Luckily I found a guy in the north of sweden who had the special VM IP removal tool. He send this along with the new fully tested and rebuilt pump and some instructions. Installation went pretty well albiet long and now I have a truck running worse with a new pump, than an old leaking one ? The old one was always a bit difficult to start in cold weather. I've checked wiring and installed new Bera glowplugs. 

With the new pump the engine barely idles and roughly if it doesn't cut out, feels pretty weak and there is loads of white smoke( this never goes away with the new pump), especially in the lower RPMs. No matter how much I rotate the pump for timing, it is still always difficult to start (takes probably about 5-10sec of cranking and mashing the throttle). I changed filters a few months ago, did the sedi-filter too. I've also tried unscrewing the pipes where they meet the injectors to see if any injectors seem bad and they don't ? Is it possible all 4 are bad ? Does this sound a like IP timing issue ? Is it possible I jumped a tooth on when installing the new pump ? I was pretty sure I got it 100%

Looking forward to some your replies. 

All the best 

Jacob

Almost  certainly  the pump gear has moved a tooth when changing the pump.  I think there is enough clearance  in the cover to allow the gear to fall out of mesh if it slips. Either front cover off or try to lift the gear and turn it one tooth  to advance the timing. I have a 2.5vm here I can look at if you have further questions.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hi Taurion, 

Thanks so much for your quick reply!! Which way do I need to turn it ? Clockwise or anti-clockwise ? How difficult is it to remove the front cover ? I am correct in thinking the crankpully needs to come off ? I was hoping to avoid this step so I guess I'll try remove the pump cover again and wiggle the wheel in the right direction. 

All the best, 

Jacob