Making my own main loom/harness

monkie

On 1/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, monkie said:

... as I am going to add an earth to each corner to connect to the gearbox

As you want to go back to the gearbox anyway, why not straight to an earth distributor at the battery? It's only little more with less connections that can foul away

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

As you want to go back to the gearbox anyway, why not straight to an earth distributor at the battery? It's only little more with less connections that can foul away

Yes, good idea. 

Those splices you showed earlier look like open barrel splices, I'm having a hard time getting them to work on my 14 and 16 gauge wires because my crimpers are too small. Works great on the smaller wires. I ordered some step down butt connectors to try on the heavier gauge wires, see how that works. Hydralink has some nice 2 into one and closed end splices but they are expensive.

Sean

• Thanks 1

Since mine is such a mixed up collection of parts I also bought a label machine and some clear heat shrink. I tried to match wire color but some were hard to get locally and some of my accessories weren't Defender specific. This is the right rear harness joined to a 4 gauge ground wire.

Sean

IMG_3721.jpg

• Like 1

PaulMc, quoting from your roof top lighting thread, referenced in this thread:

"I use a continuous length of the larger gauge cable, with the conductor exposed and the smaller gauge 'spur' to each lamp crimped onto it it, using a splice crimp, which is then over-sleeved with adhesive-lined heatshrink, as this picture sequence illustrates -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/paulmc0308/Electrical/Misc/th_DSC02722.jpg . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/paulmc0308/Electrical/Misc/th_DSC02723.jpg . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/paulmc0308/Electrical/Misc/th_DSC02724.jpg . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/paulmc0308/Electrical/Misc/th_DSC02725.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/paulmc0308/Electrical/Misc/th_DSC02726.jpg . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/paulmc0308/Electrical/Misc/th_DSC02727.jpg . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/paulmc0308/Electrical/Misc/th_DSC02728.jpg . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/paulmc0308/Electrical/Misc/th_DSC02729.jpg"

How do you make these electrical connections waterproof on the side where the two wires exit the heat shrink sleeve, please?

Sorry, what I thought would be a couple of photos only came up as the addresses that I copied them from, but you can at least access them.

Mike

Edited by Troll Hunter
To add apology!

Just thought I'd add my 2p on the solder vs. crimp debate - I've been involved in some stuff that was deployed out to some pretty harsh environments. We always used to crimp and then add a dab of solder to the connections as well for those that were going to take abuse - although because it was usually involving RF the dab of solder was also to improve the electrical connection in some circumstances. We've seen all combinations fail equally, bear in mind that the guy in charge of the prototype lab once totalled up the cost of the crimp tools we had - went well into 6 figures for not a huge number...

Proper crimp vs. solder doesn't really matter - just ensure you've got proper stress relief on the connectors and/or wiring loom.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the tips and tricks. A box turned up today with all the wires, tapes and econoseal connectors for the chassis harness. I plan to have all the earths from the components go to a single earth via econoseal connector (for easy isolation of a part should it fail). This single earth will then go direct to an earth bus on the negative terminal of the battery via the harness. 

I have sorted out the colours for the wires for a 110 of the late 1980s. Everything I have found online so far is generic lucas or land rover, this is specific to a land rover 90/110 diesel. I imagine there is a high degree of overlap with later/earlier models as well as petrol. I thought it might be helpful to share this here. As always, I'm open to any corrections/comments.

A solid colour is from a supply to a switch and a striped colour is switch to component. I have used the standard lucas colour code:

G=green, LG = light green, R=red, U=blue, W=white, O=orange, P=purple, N =brown, B=black, Y=yellow, S=slate(grey), K=pink.

G fused ignition on
GR left turn signal
GW right turn signal
GP brake lights
GN reverse light
GB fuel sender
GY heater blower motor switch
GS heater blower motor switch
LGG oil temperature
LGW oil pressure sender
LGB screen wash pump
LGP trailer warning light
LGN hazard switch to flash relay

R running lights
RO right side/tail
RB left side/tail
RY rear fog
RLG wiper motor
RW 12v socket illumination

U head lights
UO right main
US left main
UK left dip
UB right dip
UG wiper motor

W unfused live ignition on
WR ignition switch to starter relay
WO ignition switch to heater blower fuse and radio
WB rear window heater
WS fuel sender to guage 
WN oil pressure warning lamp
WY hand brake warning light
WG Heated rear window switch to relay/dash light

P unfused permanent live
PG fuse to heater blower motor 
PO seat belt warning light (where fitted)
PW interior cab light
PU door switch (where fitted)

N permanent live from positive terminal bus on starter solenoid
NLG wiper motor
NY charge warning light
NLG flasher relay
NW fuse to heated rear window relay

B earth
BU diff lock engaged warning light
BW brake warning light
BR hazard switch illumination
BK heated rear window relay to diode
BS heated rear window diode to voltage sensitive switch

YB Glowplug Feed
  • Thanks 4

90/110 wiring colour codes haven't changed since 1983, later models do have additional colour codes for thinge like ABS/TC/central locking,/electric windows, but all comply with the UK standard automotive colour codings from Lucas. all the codes are on the 110 wiring diagrams in workshop manual

That's true Ralph, as there are also Lucas colour codes on the Internet. The problem I have had is when I have a random wire, say black with pink trace for example, it comes up on the generic charts as something irrelevant to my 110 or takes me 10 minutes trawling through the circuit diagrams to find it. 

39 minutes ago, western said:

When Monkie has completed his loom builds I will add it into the electrical section.

ooh err, that's a bit of pressure. I'm having a fire extinguisher handy for when I connect the battery up just in case. Anyone know where I can get a load of scotch locks?;)

• Haha 1

*Correction to my earlier post. Purple is fused permanent live (not unfused as I had put earlier). I also had missed off brown with red trace for the glowplug feed from ignition switch:

G fused ignition on
GR left turn signal
GW right turn signal
GP brake lights
GN reverse light
GB fuel sender
GY heater blower motor switch
GS heater blower motor switch
LGG oil temperature
LGW oil pressure sender
LGB screen wash pump
LGP trailer warning light
LGN hazard switch to flash relay

R running lights
RO right side/tail
RB left side/tail
RY rear fog
RLG wiper motor
RW 12v socket illumination

U head lights
UO right main
US left main
UK left dip
UB right dip
UG wiper motor

W unfused live ignition on
WR ignition switch to starter relay
WO ignition switch to heater blower fuse and radio
WB rear window heater
WS fuel sender to guage 
WN oil pressure warning lamp
WY hand brake warning light
WG Heated rear window switch to relay/dash light

P fused permanent live
PG fuse to heater blower motor 
PO seat belt warning light (where fitted)
PW interior cab light
PU door switch (where fitted)

N permanent live from positive terminal bus on starter solenoid
NR ignition switch to glowplug relay
NLG wiper motor
NY charge warning light
NLG flasher relay
NW fuse to heated rear window relay

B earth
BU diff lock engaged warning light
BW brake warning light
BR hazard switch illumination
BK heated rear window relay to diode
BS heated rear window diode to voltage sensitive switch

YB Glowplug Feed from relay
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, monkie said:

ooh err, that's a bit of pressure. I'm having a fire extinguisher handy for when I connect the battery up just in case. Anyone know where I can get a load of scotch locks?;)

No pressure from here, just say when its all finished

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I haven't done as much as I'd like as work is busy (not that I'll complain about that right now). Just put the order in for all the parts. 

The rear window heater is fused by a 10amp fuse. I have used 2.0mm2 wire rated at 17amp. 

So, a new loom from Autosparks is £600 plus another £100 for the rear chassis loom. I have ordered parts for both with upgrades to a glow plug timer relay (I have the relay so not costed), relay switched dip/main beam head lights, fitting in earth wires to each corner that go back to the battery terminal and using econoseal an superseal to totally remove the old style bullet connectors. It has cost me £100 in wire plus another £60 in parts like tape, connectors, fuse box relays etc. (maybe I'll need to top up a bit as I go if I fluff something up or realise I made an error somewhere) - but I think you'll agree a significant cost saving on £700 for off the shelf. You just have to be prepared for the planning and work.

I'll post some picture as I get the loom assembled, but I want to crack on now I miss not being able to drive my 110 - it's been sat on the drive loomless for over a month now.

On 1/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, monkie said:

A solid colour is from a supply to a switch and a striped colour is switch to component.

Excuse my ignorance, is this what you are doing, or a standard procedure in LR wiring? 

I understand that is standard Lucas practice. For example, brown is permanent unfused live that could feed a switch such as ignition switch. Brown with red trace goes from the ignition switch to the glow plugs in a pre tdi era diesel. 

• Thanks 1