What’s these bits for ?

A return normally has a long internal tube to discharge at the bottom of the tank to prevent the return fuel creating foam in the tank. You should be ok to use it as a pick up. Bit of clear hose and a gentle suck will tell you if the bottom end of it is below the fuel surface....If you just get a mouth full of vapour its a vent and not a return.

Edited by simonb

1 hour ago, Chambo110 said:

I’m guessing I got amr1495, assuming you have prc8463 then Ralph ?

Yes mine is the PRC8463 https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/89988/5497/fuel_tank_sender_unit_110_defender_up_to_vin_ja915357 it has the 3 elect terminals. for gauge, earth, low fuel level.

the return sits top centre of tank, the filler breather is above the main fuel fill connection,  have a look at the parts diagram & you'll see the return pipe on top.

27 minutes ago, western said:

Yes mine is the PRC8463 https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/89988/5497/fuel_tank_sender_unit_110_defender_up_to_vin_ja915357 it has the 3 elect terminals. for gauge, earth, low fuel level.

So does that mean I don’t have low fuel light?  To be honest I never noticed it on dash before. 

simonb

cheers mate very helpful.

So, If successful and I do get a mouthful, I could try t into fuel return.
But.. the (heater) pump won’t know which direction to suck from, then if I start heater with engine off it could drain the line between (heater) pump and lift pump .. correct or not ??

Thanks 

It probably a vent, the return usually has a pipe on a plate screwed to the tank.

If it is a return, your fuel heater pump will suck from the least resistive path, which is fuel out of the tank, not the lift pump line. My Wabasto is plumbed into the return to the tank, never had any problems, with or without the engine running. The heater draws only a tiny amount of fuel.

You could probably tap into the feed into the lift pump if you have no other tank connections, the heater manufacturers don't seem to recommend this though, but can't remember why, it maybe because the heater pump isn't strong enough to compete with the lift pump when the engine is running - the lift pump could in theory suck fuel out of the heater line, but again unlikely given its a much smaller bore than the pick up into the tank.

The spigot on the sender and the top of the tank (pictured) don't have dip pipes so will be no good for eberspacher feed. I have tee'd into the fuel lines and fitted a dip pipe to the tank (eberspacher and webasto sell one) both work well. I forget whether I tee'd into the feed or return both should be sealed and have a dip pipe. If I went this route again I would use a swirl pot on the return as @FridgeFreezer has on his ambulance. A dip pipe on the tank is preferable though as you can set the height above the engine pick up so you always have fuel to start the engine.

Mike

Cheers Mike 

its not an overnight sleeper, or certainly not at a time of year that would require additional heat. 😂🥶. So I’m not too concerned about running out of fuel.

I’ll  go for the fuel return as it seems to have worked for simonb and others

what’s this swirl pot on return you speak of??

Ta

12 hours ago, Chambo110 said:

So does that mean I don’t have low fuel light?  To be honest I never noticed it on dash before. 

Possible, a lot of 300tdi vehicles didn't have the low fuel light wired in, but the icon is still on the warning light panel. 

the PRC8463 is wired --- 

green/black to sender unit forward spade terminal -- feeds the fuel gauge

plain black to ridged stud sender earth

white/slate to sender unit rear spade terminal -- feeds low fuel warning light.

this looks same as your sender --

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/108511-fuel-tank-sender-three-pin-type-wiring/

Mike

i started reading that a while back.. must of got distracted. Easily done according to my teachers at school.

Ralph 

Yeah I do have a light just never seen it on.

This bit has me thinking though 

“the PRC8463 is wired --- 

white/slate to sender unit rear spade terminal -- feeds low fuel warning light

In the engine bay on bulkhead in front of driver I found this loose wire the other day. I’m sure it’s white/slate trace?? goes to the big connector in 2nd pic. Quick check looks like it heads off towards rear inside the chassis loom. 
guess I need to get back under the tank and look for a lonely wire

Does the light work by making earth connection same as door pins ??

cheers chaps

7E3A8DFA-A044-4EF7-8B20-1E2783B8D660.jpeg

00847BCA-6274-4903-9512-B4875203342E.jpeg

28 minutes ago, western said:

When the fuel level is low the light usually starts to flick on off & should stay on when 10litres or less is in the tank, Yes looks like the correct wire, pulled out of its connector block. yes think it earths & completes the circuit. 

Great stuff thanks 

Assuming then it should be white/slate on other side of connector going to dash light?

and if I find that then earthing it should bring on the light yes ?