X-Eng Challenge

JST

Fish and Chips orders!!!!

Pugwash has very kindly offered to do us all lunch again!!!! - oh yeah for £4 Fish and Chips and a drink delivered, after lunch, to the site, PM or email me your order.

JST - burger and Chipsand coke please

Tim J - F&C & Tango twice

Ciderman -5 F&C and 1 x sausage and chips + cokes, for Bill Rich , Jackie and Nicola Brimble ,Simon Elvins and Mikey

simonR - F&C and diet coke

Chris Watts - suasage and chips and diet coke

Alan Cosens - sausage and chips and diet coke x2

Orgasmic Farmer - 3 x F&Cs 3 cokes

Bish - Burger and Chips

Mark Stainer - battered sausage and chips and diet coke x2

Pete Mitchell - F&C and coke x4

Treebloke - 1 F&C, 1 Burger and Chips + 2x coke

shaun Houghtopn - Fish and Chips and drink x2

White90 - 2 x F&C and diet cokes

Paul W - sausage and chips and coke x2

3x Fish an Chips , 3 Cokes for Scott Williams

1x Fish an Chips , 1 coke for Keith Knight

LR90 - 3 x F&C&Coke

Taz - 1 x battered sauage and chips and diet coke

Lawrence F&C x 3 + coke

Chris H - f&c + coke

Mark90 - 2 x sausage and chips , 1 x d coke, 1 x coke

Nevridred - as Tim said 10 mins of so from M5 Jct26 Welington.

I don't post the site location on here they go out as an email to spectators and competitors who register their interest above. i try to limit the distribution of the site as i dont want everyone turning up, good for publicity but bad for control and insurance! and thats before they bring their pets and children along or start driving on the sites thinking they are there for a play day!

Hence my vague area reply :o

James ok put me down as a entry, and will see how the scrutineering goes :unsure: if aggro will marshal instead,

Jim Fish & Chips + tango x 2 please

you sure you dotn want to compete?

I was tempted, but don't want to fudge your entry figures.

I'm not sure I can get the brakes on Taz sorted by then.

The drums and cylinders are driving me round the twist !!

I need discs and pads (ahem.....Jez)

Richard

Hence my vague area reply :o

James ok put me down as a entry, and will see how the scrutineering goes :unsure: if aggro will marshal instead,

Jim Fish & Chips + tango x 2 please

To be honnest although they had some issues with my truck I can only blame myself as the items they had a problem with were the very things I read in the regulations and chose to ignore thinking they wouldn't worry about them! If you read through the reg's (which are pretty straight forward) and make sure that everything is as they want it to be (eg, Batt' isolator, second throttle return spring, some form of deflection for exhaust, Fire extiguisher as spec' etc etc) then you wont have any problem.

As for the soft roof, Someone at seven sisters did have mesh strapped to his cage which they seem'd O.K. with so do that if nothing else!

2x Fish and Chips please Jim ,

And If you have any left some Diet chips for My Bitch Lardy, He needs to loose a bit before the Muddy Truckers event .

James we will be doing your event in Lardys truck , His favorite site He realy enjoys the scenery especialy looking at the sky :lol::lol::lol:

post-1171-1168887191.jpg

Hi James

can you stick me and stevo down provisionally. be a good excuse for my 40th birthday bash. Steve may not be able to read this thread for a little while, he has other thinks on his mind at the mo :ph34r: :ph34r:

does this mean u will be under the weather again buddy :D

James, If someone has a front winch and two lockers what would they have to do to satisfy you they would not be able to use the front locker so they can compete in STD +1. Would just disconnecting the airline be enough or would they have to remove a part (say the solenoid) and leave it with you for the day?

Steve in answer to your and a few others thread/emails:

If someone wants to change their vehicle to compete in a less specced class then they must render the additional aid(s) that take them out of that class unusable or remove them.

eg. two lockers and a winch would be modified, if they want to go to std+1 then render either the winch or one of the lockers unusable, or someone has two winches but wants to compete in std class therefore render on winch unusable.

to render a winch unusable:

either remove it complete, or remove ALL the following, the rope, fairlead and electrical connections from the motor end.

to render an air locker unusable

replace it with an open diff or remove air line and the solenoid as connected to the compressor.

to render another type of closed diff unusable: remove it! eg LSD, torque biased etc.

In any case of removing aids (or rendering them unusable) the driver is responsible for ensuring this is highlighted at scrutineering and confirmed with a Marshall. The organiser reserves the right to reinspect the vehicle at any time during or after the event if 'foul' play is suspected!

Before any one asks a vehicle with TC is counted as one aid.

Hi James

can we add Kris Murphy (the guy who bought your bumper) to the list on a 95% sure he'll be there basis. His cage is being fitted tomorrow and pending work commitments of his Biatch, or failing that finding someone else, he is keen to make this event his debut. Probably running standard +1 or Mod if he gets rear winch fitted in time.

Cheers

Mark

OK, i have finally received some quotes back for insurance so that i could look to run events without being associated to another club.

In light of this i am now going to run the events through a company '4x4Adventures'. This company will hold its own event insurance. How does this affect you? There are new Company rules and regs, you as a competitor must ensure that your vehicle complies with them. for ref they are at the end of this post.

After being assocated to Challenge South West for the first few events i decided to try and find my own insurance, this initially proved costly so i then looked to further expand insurance options with the aid of the MSA via AWDC. i would like to publicly thank Neil for all his help and advice on the issue and had these latest quotes been any higher the AWDC is certainly the way i would have gone. However i was keen to work independantly of any club and with time, and been honest, wouldn't mind making some money on these events to at least cover my time in setting up etc. to date out of interest the last one broke even! I am also keen to keep entry costs down and not make competitors join 'yet another' club so they can come and go as they please for each event. Although please be aware the events after this one will be £40 per vehicle.

Challenge South West (Russ and Nigel) have been very helpful in the past and i thank you for giving me the initial chance to start events through association to CSW, hopefully you have gained some members through the entry discount to my events and long may we continue to promote the sport and work together. So much so that Russ, as we discussed, you will find pretty much CSW rules and regs listed below which i am now using for my company.

So Competitors it means scrutineering will take on the same form as past events, ensure your vehicle complies with the regs below and see you all there!

Please note that all my future events will be named after the event sponsor or called 4x4Adventures Winch Challenge if there is no sponsor (like the nest one!!!)

Email to all competitors will be going out this eveing from info4x4adv@aol.com, if your competing and dont get it please let me know.

Rules and Regulations

Summary

The object of the event is to locate various punches, the location of which will be indicated on the day. Each punch will identified by a number to verify it is the desired objective. The punch will be attached to a fixed point on the objective either by a cable or direct fixing. The control card (attached by the scrutineer to a consistent point on all vehicles) must be marked with the pin punch in the correct box on the control card as proof that the objective has been visited. The vehicle must negotiate close enough to the point to collect the punch mark without detaching either the pin punch or control card.

There may also be special tasks which are worth extra points. These are generally along the lines of non-driving puzzles or may include driving a short course through numbered gates in reverse gear or against the clock.

The event will be for individual vehicles, each of which may carry one driver and one co-driver providing they are accommodated in securely fixed seats and wearing approved seatbelts or harnesses. All drivers must have current UK driving licences.

Competitors may enter their vehicles with or without a partner vehicle (depending on the type of event) and may be paired at the event by the organisers.

Vehicles must have a working horn, seatbelts for all seats in use, towing points front and rear and carry a tow rope. Horns will be used to notify an emergency. On hearing horns competitors should attempt to assist/locate the problem or notify marshals.

A roll bar must be fitted to all soft top vehicles. Even if the event takes place wholly on private land, Vehicle Tax, MOT and insurance are required. In the event of public roads being used to link sites then it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that all road regulations are complied with.

Vehicles must carry an emergency first aid kit and fire extinguisher. All items must be securely stowed within a vehicle. Competitors are not allowed to smoke while competing.

A blanket speed limit of 15mph covers all sites and any vehicle exceeding this may be disqualified.

The use of winch sails and gloves is compulsory when winching. There must be no damage or removal of any object within the competition area (i.e. trees, fences, gates, walls etc.) and tree strops must be used where necessary. ‘Clear for winching’ must be called out clearly prior to each and every winching operation. Competitors must ensure that winch cables are never crossed.

In the event of a breakdown, repairs must be carried out on a suitable ground sheet. Try to limit any spillage of fuel or oil.. In the event of any spillage a marshal must be informed. Do NOT drop litter

All competitors will obey the organisers/marshals instructions. Their decision is final.

If you feel at any time that the severity of a section is beyond your capability you must stop. You will not be forced into a situation you consider to be potentially dangerous.

Detailed Rules and Regulations

RECOVERY EQUIPMENT

1. All vehicles must have the following minimum recovery equipment (compatible with all winches fitted):

2. 1 long recovery strap / rope.

3. 2 tree protector strops.

4. 1 snatch block.

5. 2 stamped and rated shackles (safe working load of 3.25 tons).

6. Ground anchor/plough as applicable to the site (can include spare wheel)

7. 2 pairs of appropriate gloves (not woollen).

8. Winch blanket (minimum weight 1kg). It must not be permanently attached to the cable or hook.

9. Suitable recovery points to the front and rear of the vehicles.

10. All winches must comply with the following regulations:

11. Winch must be securely fitted to the vehicle.

12. Minimum size of winch is 6000 lbs rated.

13. If electrical winch, it must be fitted with a battery isolator switch.

14. Cable / rope must be in good condition.

15. Loop at end of cable must be swaged.

SAFETY EQUIPMENT

1. A fire extinguisher (min 2kg) system must be carried on all competing vehicles.

2. All vehicles must carry a first aid kit.

3. Regulations as detailed above are the MINIMUM required.

4. All vehicles must comply with the rules as stated above.

WARNINGS AND PENALTIES

In the event of an infringement of the above rules, there will be one verbal warning given before a penalty is charged. Remember that the rules are there for the protection of yourself and others.

All vehicles must be presented with a current MOT certificate, be road taxed and be in a roadworthy condition including tyre legality.

1. All drivers must hold a current Driving Licence.

SCRUTINEERING

1. Driver and co-driver must present their vehicle (in a clean condition) to the scrutineer for inspection prior to start of an event..

2. This may include production of a current MOT certification for the competing vehicle. All vehicles must be road legal, taxed and insured.

BODY/CHASSIS

1. The vehicle must be fitted with bodywork including a driver (and passenger) compartment isolated from the engine, wet batteries, gearbox, hydraulic reservoirs, transmission, shafts, brakes, road wheels, their operating linkages and attachments, oil tanks, radiator, water header tanks and catch tanks.

2. There must be a protective bulkhead of non-inflammable material between the engine and the driver/passenger compartment capable of preventing the passage of fluid or flame. Gaps must be sealed with GRP or with putty that completely closes the gaps at all times. Magnesium is prohibited for bulkheads.

3. The vehicle must have a complete floor of adequate strength and rigidity supported within the driver/passenger compartment.

4. The vehicle must be equipped on all wheels with mudguards, which present no sharp edges and cover the complete wheel (flange + rim + tyre) adequately.

5. The bodywork must provide a minimum uninterrupted transverse cockpit opening of 81 cm.

6. The vehicle must be fitted with doors or bodywork giving side protection to the driver and passenger.

7. If the vehicle is fitted with driver/passenger doors, hatchback doors, sliding doors, opening boots or tailgates, these must be secured in the closed position during competition.

8. Tailgates may be removed.

9. The load carrying area must be separated from the passenger compartment by an adequate barrier.

10. There must be an effective means of ventilation for closed cars.

11. All recovery equipment must be stored securely in or on the vehicle.

BRAKES

1. The vehicle must be fitted with brakes that are operative and capable of stopping and holding the vehicle as required.

2. An independent parking brake system must be fitted.

ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS

1. Any wet batteries in the driver/passenger compartment must be enclosed in a securely located leak-proof container.

2. Batteries must be securely fastened and terminals protected from short circuiting.

3. The vehicle must be equipped with an effective horn or other audible warning device emitting a continuous tone.

4. A circuit breaker that cuts the engine is recommended.

COOLING

1. All fluid carrying lines or tubes carrying coolants through the driver/passenger compartment if non-metallic are to be internally or externally metal braided hydraulic hose.

EXHAUST SYSTEMS

1. The exhaust system must be isolated from the driver/passenger compartment.

FUEL SYSTEMS

1. All fuel lines passing through the driver/passenger compartment shall be protected and, if non-metallic, be formed of internally or externally metal braided hydraulic pressure hose.

2. Tank fillers and caps must not protrude beyond the bodywork. These must have an efficient locking action to reduce the risk of accidental opening during an accident and ensure closing after refuelling.

OIL COOLING SYSTEMS

1. Any oil lines passing through the driver/passenger compartment must be protected and, if non-metallic, be formed of internally or externally braided hydraulic pressure hose.

STEERING

1. All steering joints and couplings must be in serviceable condition.

TRANSMISSION

1. The use of locking axle differentials, limited-slip or torque-biasing axle differentials is permitted in modified class only.

WINDSCREENS AND SIDE SCREENS

1. Windscreens must be of laminated glass or plastic of a minimum thickness of 4mm. Plastic side screens, where fitted, should also have a minimum thickness of 4mm unless fitted otherwise by the original vehicle manufacturer.

SEATING

1. The maximum time for the driver/passenger to get out of the vehicle should not exceed 5 seconds.

2. Safety belts must be worn at all times during competition whilst the vehicle is in motion. The minimum requirement is a three-point belt comprising one diagonal shoulder strap and one lap strap, with three anchor points on the chassis/body shell or rollover bar of the vehicle on either side and to the rear of the seat. The seat integral safety belt of Range Rover is acceptable.

WHEELS AND TYRES

1. The vehicle shall have not less than four road wheels and tyres (excluding the spare) which are fitted with tyres that are compatible with the wheels and acceptable to the organiser.

2. The use of tyre chains is prohibited.

3. The use of open tread tyres such as Maxi Cross, Black Star, Canonica, Babcross or dumper tyres is prohibited.

4. Maximum tyre size must not exceed 36” diameter.

5. A spare wheel is not a mandatory requirement but, if carried, must be securely fastened.

ROLL OVER PROTECTION

1. No vehicle will be allowed to compete without some form of rollover protection. A manufacturer’s correctly fitted hardtop or Truck-cab shall be deemed sufficient. Soft or open topped vehicles require a minimum of a roll hoop. THE STRENGTH AND SECURITY OF THE MOUNTINGS OF ROLLOVER PROTECTION ARE OF PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE.

2. Roll over bar materials should comprise cold drawn seamless carbon steel, minimum yield strength 350N/sq.mm. An alternative material is BS1387 medium weight blue band, minimum dimensions being 44.30mm x 3.2mm.

3. It is mandatory that drivers or passengers of soft or open topped vehicles wear crash helmets complying to BS6658 standards.

4. The Organisers of this Event strongly recommend that all vehicles be fitted with roll over protection. Issue 1 (January 2007)

Richard and Trev can i have your email for the marshal instructions please.

Bish, Paul you should have yours by now.

All competitors should also have their entry forms by now (the .zip file attached to the email called directions also has the entry form in it before anyone asks (again))

Does a spare wheel that can be buried satisfy the requirement of having a ground anchor?

Ooo ! sounds like a lot of work to me .

James , Its more or less the same rules and regs format as CSW , which is excellent , and at 40 bucks a challenge is still cheap for a good days challenge ,

4x4 Adventures winch challenge ,sounds a bit cheesey though, can we not shorten it to 4x4AWC or does it have to be named for insurance reasons ?

Just a thought .

Jase

James , Its more or less the same rules and regs format as CSW , which is excellent , and at 40 bucks a challenge is still cheap for a good days challenge ,

4x4 Adventures winch challenge ,sounds a bit cheesey though, can we not shorten it to 4x4AWC or does it have to be named for insurance reasons ?

Just a thought .

Jase

Im with Jase, It does sound a bit cheesey!

Jase, and at only £35 for this one its a give away...... but as you mention others will be £40.

Yep rules and regs are lifted from CSW with a few alterations.

to be honest i havent even had time to think about the latter, 4x4AWC it is then,(unless you want to sponsor it......) and whiltst your on a high; come up for a better name for Std+1 will you....

Mark - Yes, if buried specifically for use as an anchor!

Cool, saves having to buy one. Usually enough trees on SW sites :)

DBSFS, I'm not actually gonna bury it, it's just to satisfy the regs that you must have a ground anchor ;)

Cool, saves having to buy one. Usually enough trees on SW sites :)

DBSFS, I'm not actually gonna bury it, it's just to satisfy the regs that you must have a ground anchor ;)

But doesn't a sizable winch bitch count?