Help, fresh MS2x install on 3.9 started earlier, but nothing now.

Hi all,

I've read so much my head hurts, can I have some pointers please.

I have an ExtraEFI kit with vw coil packs fitted to a 3.9 v belt v8 with original stepper idle control.

I had it running first thing this morning to warm it up to set the timing, but it only ran on 7 cylinders, it turned out one of the new coil packs was only working on 2+1, not 2+2. 

Trying to restart it has been impossible, even after leaving it for hours. I've picked up a new coil pack, I can hear it trying to catch, but it won't start.

I've struggled with setting up tthe idle valve, all the literature looks like gobbledygook to me, judging by earlier it was OK as revs started high and gropped nicely. Can anyone confirm settings that work so I can rule that out?

Lastly suggestions 9n where to start please? I've checked sparks and they are all now there.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Fufflenarnia
Spelling mistake

I've replied to your query on settings for the stepper but I'd suggest you block it off for the moment until you have got the thing starting and warm idling with no issues. The temptation with MS is to tweak a lot of things at once, but it is better to kind of layer things in one by one until you have everything working in harmony.

I tend to go as follows:

Cranking settings- car should fire quickly, although it may want to die straight after, this will be adjusted later.

Baby the throttle until you get the thing warm, then check timing with a light.

With timing confirmed as matching what MS is displaying then adjust idle fuelling to achieve highest idle speed, then richen a tiny bit. I

Then you can adjust the after start enrichment and warmup enrichment to get the thing idling through from a cold start to running temp without too much intervention.

Then you can tune the ve map

Then the Accel enrichment.

Then things like steppers, fuel cut etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quagmire is bang on - you need to change ONE thing at a time, ignore the bits that aren't perfect just get the basics right (in the right order) before moving on.

If it starts and runs that's the hardest part done, everything else is fine tuning to some degree.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

I've got it running and was warming it up, but maybe with a cylinder missing, when I noticed oil leaking.

But not quite, it was oil with petrol in it, lots of petrol, I've probably drained 12 litres of petrol and oil from the sump. It was probably running for 15 mins on 24th and 10 mins today.

So, thats a bit worrying, it was running fairly really well, and even restarted ok, but I need to get to the bottom of the problem, I suspect either a stuck injector or the fuel regulator.

The fuel pressure is coming in a 2.9 bar which is high, would that be enough on its own to cause the problem?

I do have a complete thor inlet manifold, so could either use that with a regulator to suit, plus thermostat and heater pipe adaptor, or could I just use the injectors in the 14cux manifold - would they be happy at 2.9 bar? It would be nice to get it running as that was the Christmas holiday plan (may be completely scuppered now).... if anyone knows ofva fuel regulator near to Redhill, Surrey, let me know!

Thanks.

Edited by Fufflenarnia

2.9bar is about right, so no worries there.

You are right to suspect a leaking injector, classic symptoms I'm afraid, also would make it hard to start.

Depending on how spannery you are feeling, you may want to check the big end/crank bearings as with that little oil in the petrol, you lose the lubricity and can wipe them out.

Sucks when things like this happens... Still, you will get there.

Thanks for the replies,

I guess I have 2 steps:

1) test wires on the injectors in test mode, and

2) if my wiring turns out to be ok, its fuel rail out and repressurise it and see which one drips.

I may be taking a look at the big ends too..... great, this car just keeps on giving!

Edited by Fufflenarnia

Hi all,

Well it didn't take long to find the fault, but I don't know how to fix it.

Bank D (cly 2 and 3) is live as soon as the fuel pump relay is. I've checked the wiring back to the ecu and its good. So why is ms leaving it live? It explains the amount of fuel, 2 injectors at 185cc will soon empty the tank!

Any suggestions?

20201227_114401.jpg

I'm not 100% familiar with MS2's semi-sequential shenanigans, are you sure the pins you've wired it to are actually configured to drive Bank D and the ECU is set up to pulse the right pin?

I believe you usually need extra injector drivers soldered into the unit & to set the extra outputs correctly in the settings.

Although what good semi-sequential is doing anyone I've no idea :huh:

On 12/26/2020 at 5:48 PM, Bowie69 said:

2.9bar is about right, so no worries there.

You are right to suspect a leaking injector, classic symptoms I'm afraid, also would make it hard to start.

Depending on how spannery you are feeling, you may want to check the big end/crank bearings as with that little oil in the petrol, you lose the lubricity and can wipe them out.

Sucks when things like this happens... Still, you will get there.

I was feeling a bit spannery 🔧 🛠  so as I had the sump off to clean the petroil out, took off a couple of mains and a couple of bigs. There are signs of wear, but nothing i could feel, thoughts please?:

20201227_164226.jpg

20201227_164217.jpg

20201227_163639.jpg

20201227_163624.jpg

20201227_162336.jpg

20201227_162311.jpg

20201227_162311.jpg

20201227_161730.jpg

• 3 weeks later...