3.9 14CUX idle speed query

CharlieB

Hi all, I have a query regarding the idle control on a 14CUX system I am having the age old problem of sometimes stalling when going into drive or reverse. i have carried out all the usual stuff like air leaks/blockages, idle valve clean, timing, base idle speed etc. But I have noticed something odd. If I use Rovergauge to monitor the system, in Park/neutral the target idle is 700rpm, and when I select drive or reverse, the target idle drops to 600rpm, that seems back to front to me. If I break the auto box wire to the ecu and ground it so it thinks its in neutral, it works better.

Any ideas?

Regards Charles

The RPM at idle will be higher without any load, move out park or neutral and the revs will drop, and a bit more with electrical stuff and A/C added to the mix.

My 3.9 auto sits at around 730rpm at idle in neutral and anything between 650 and 675 when loaded,  but all vary slightly sometimes not that I notice, I don’t look a the rev counter often.

LRs workshop manual adds + or - 28rpm to their stated idle speeds, also all loads off in neutral 665 to 735 rpm.

Base idle 525+-25rpm.

A breathing issue maybe? Checking the crankcase breather and hose are clear, remove the ‘flame trap’ from the rocker cover and soak it for 1/2 hour in petrol,  or overnight, or replace it. Also is the air filter clean.

Edited by teabag

From P into R or N into D my engine RPM drops by at least 80 revs, there is a slight increases when AC is on, all  controlled by the EFI ECU and idle control valve as you know.

So with AC on and in drive my engine idles around 675 give or take and when for example stationary at traffic lights. Buts its not very i look a the rev counter.

So from the RPM numbers you posted thats just 20 revs lower at idle than my engine in  the selector P or N