Fuel burning heater

garryc

Thank you. It’s a diesel I’ve got. I used to have a v8 and the exhausts were the best cab heaters ever. 

im thinking of using it purely as an aid to help warm the engine up; not as a parking heater.  The cheap Chinese space heaters seem to do that very well for much less fuss.

I’m planning to just provide a simple switched feed but it appears to need a timer to keep it running for a few mins after shutdown to burn off excess etc. So need to look into that. Maybe a little Raspberry Pi project with a SIM card so I can remote start it? 

4 hours ago, garryc said:

im thinking of using it purely as an aid to help warm the engine up; not as a parking heater.  The cheap Chinese space heaters seem to do that very well for much less fuss.
I’m planning to just provide a simple switched feed but it appears to need a timer to keep it running for a few mins after shutdown to burn off excess etc. So need to look into that. Maybe a little Raspberry Pi project with a SIM card so I can remote start it?

The heaters all have their own internal controllers that manage safe startup & shutdown, so they do only need a simple on/off switch - when you switch it off it will just keep running until the flame goes out and it's cooled itself down.

Having it on a timer or cellphone / raspberry pi / ESP32 depending on your setup could be handy.

Worth saying for those using them to help warm the cab that no matter how hot you get the coolant you're still relying on the Land Rover heater fan & matrix to transfer the heat... blown-air fuel burning heaters are a way better option for that.

14 hours ago, garryc said:

Has anyone fitted the fuel burning heater from a Disco/Freelander/RRS into a Series to aid cold starting and warm up on a cold day. It seems a straight forward install subject to space in the engine bay. 

I’ve got quite a collection of these working now this one will run my above ground swimming pool I have another in my shed powering two radiators which work amazing I’ve fitted one in my vw caddy van and of course the wife has one in her Range Rover 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The heaters all have their own internal controllers that manage safe startup & shutdown, so they do only need a simple on/off switch - when you switch it off it will just keep running until the flame goes out and it's cooled itself down.

Having it on a timer or cellphone / raspberry pi / ESP32 depending on your setup could be handy.

Worth saying for those using them to help warm the cab that no matter how hot you get the coolant you're still relying on the Land Rover heater fan & matrix to transfer the heat... blown-air fuel burning heaters are a way better option for that.

Thank you. That helps a lot.

2 hours ago, Jezzer said:

I’ve got quite a collection of these working now this one will run my above ground swimming pool I have another in my shed powering two radiators which work amazing I’ve fitted one in my vw caddy van and of course the wife has one in her Range Rover 

Jezzer have you found a simple wiring diagram I could use? Thank you for the reply and the video. Im starting the hunt for a C model now. Kind regards.

Likewise, very interested in this topic.

If I was reliant on ebay, what should I buy?  Or if I'm raiding a scrapper, what do I need to get?

How clever can you get with these? SIM card, start the Device and the car heater fan?

Thanks Jezzer, for sharing!

I have installed Freelander 1 Webasto Thermo Top C on my 06 Renault Master, 04Astra Dti and am doing my 04 Vauxhall Combo at the moment. I did the Master because we use it for camping, and the two Vauxhalls, primarily to defrost the windows because they take forever to warm up, and I have to say it has been worth every penny. They all work via a cheap wireless remote, so I can look out of the window in the morning, see that its icy, and turn it on from indoors with the fob. 15 mins later, all de iced and nice and warm inside, plus of course, an easier start. In fact, after having one, NOT having one is like going back to the stone age.

You need the heater itself, the dosing pump, either a separate fuel tank or means to take the fuel from the vehicles tank or lines, and a means to switch it on and off.

You could use a simple switch inside the vehicle, but I prefer a remote control.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-1CH-Wireless-RF-Garage-Door-Remote-Control-Switch-Transmitter-Relay-Receiver/133509320129?hash=item1f15c68dc1:g:LeUAAOSwRD1fT2zD

I use these, and have found them thoroughly reliable. No need to pay more.

You then have to work out where and how to site the heater, plumb it in, which will easy on a Land Rover, and connect up the fuel feed and electrics.

You may need to make some brackets and modify the exhaust depending where you decide to locate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, smallfry said:

I have installed Freelander 1 Webasto Thermo Top C on my 06 Renault Master, 04Astra Dti and am doing my 04 Vauxhall Combo at the moment. I did the Master because we use it for camping, and the two Vauxhalls, primarily to defrost the windows because they take forever to warm up, and I have to say it has been worth every penny. They all work via a cheap wireless remote, so I can look out of the window in the morning, see that its icy, and turn it on from indoors with the fob. 15 mins later, all de iced and nice and warm inside, plus of course, an easier start. In fact, after having one, NOT having one is like going back to the stone age.

You need the heater itself, the dosing pump, either a separate fuel tank or means to take the fuel from the vehicles tank or lines, and a means to switch it on and off.

You could use a simple switch inside the vehicle, but I prefer a remote control.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-1CH-Wireless-RF-Garage-Door-Remote-Control-Switch-Transmitter-Relay-Receiver/133509320129?hash=item1f15c68dc1:g:LeUAAOSwRD1fT2zD

I use these, and have found them thoroughly reliable. No need to pay more.

You then have to work out where and how to site the heater, plumb it in, which will easy on a Land Rover, and connect up the fuel feed and electrics.

You may need to make some brackets and modify the exhaust depending where you decide to locate it.

I use one to run my above ground pool in the summer works brilliantly the others powering radiators in my shed 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:15 AM, garryc said:

Jezzer have you found a simple wiring diagram I could use? Thank you for the reply and the video. Im starting the hunt for a C model now. Kind regards.

I’ve got a couple coming up for sale I’m just waiting for mew seal kits and glow pins and burner gorse to come then they will be up for sale I make the harnesses which fit to the 12volt timers I sell