Super Swamper TSL Tyres

smo

There was quite an in depth tyre discussion on the Devon 4x4 forum not too long ago, and while not relating specifically to TSL's it does include many opinions of simex vs anything else and may prove some worth to you. Thread here. The general consensus was that ET's are the best for the UK but that they were a bit small

Lewis :)

I read that when it was going on Lewis....:)

Just wondered though, people in the UK seem very narrow minded in their approach to things on the whole and somthing like a SS TSL could be what we are really looking for....or possibly not!

I read that when it was going on Lewis....:)

Just wondered though, people in the UK seem very narrow minded in their approach to things on the whole and somthing like a SS TSL could be what we are really looking for....or possibly not!

I have Simex copies (Insa Turbo Special Track) and they are not very good on very soft ground like we have here. Climb well, but the savage shoulder lugs cut in to soft peaty ground making you sink more than less aggressive tyres, and I find I'm having "errrrrrm" moments on stuff I used to toddle across with no problem on BFGs. Which is what I will be getting again next time around... SSwampers would probably be great but too expensive here!

I have used both Simex and Interco in the following sizes (in Lebanon where all where "DOT" - our government is not concerned about tires at this moment...):

32x10.5 Interco TSL Radial (do not recommend)

34x10.5 Simex JT (loved them, too small for me, changed them after 2 weeks for...)

35x10.5 Simex ET (loved them, carp on rocks and snow, and too short for what I wanted to run eventually)

36x13.5 Interco Irok Bias (great all round tire, never let me down in mud)

42x14.0 Interco Irok Bias (love them, currently on, great all round, air pressure management needed for mud use)

All in all, if you are mostly in mud as I see in the UK, and are comfortable with 35" tires, I would recommend Simex ETs - best by far. If you want something bigger in size and more terrain coverage, nothing beats the IROKs...

FWIW, I'm working on a new buggy here in the US and will be going with 42" IROKs as well.

Nadim

smo, tyres will always be a big debate, especially the so call 'extreme' tyres ('mud terrains' plus). I've run both Simex JT and ETs and they are very good in mud as they're narrow and aggressive so cut down well. However, if there isn't a solid base just below you you're in trouble with Simex! Sand, bog and loose soil performance isn't great as you just dig. They're also OK on rock.

Appart from TSLs, I'd think about IROKs as I've heard good things from Dino and Bathtub Pete. Boggers have a good reputation too.

I've got a simerlar problem at the moment. Simex (better the devil you know although they're small?), BFG Krawlers (a bit carp in mud so they're unlikely to win out), IROKs (good allround but will I loose out too much in mud?) or Boggers (awsome in mud and the likely choice at the moment). FYI, for some of the larger sizes Devon 4x4 has some good prices on interco tyres at the moment (like 5 x 37" boggers for under £1k!!!!)

Funny really Simex are nothing speaical here. But SS are what everyone uses and are definatley the prefered weapon of choice. The feeling you get is the really don't like Simex.

I think it could also be that simex tyres are too small for most of the trucks. 36" is not a big tyre here. Went out with a couple of rangies who had 38" and 40 " tyes on their trucks. Even a Disco 2 had 36" tryers

I mean correct me if i am wrong but they only do space saver tyres sizes compaired to SS

I swapped from Simex ET's 32 x10.5, which I ran in Malaysia and briefly in the US, to TSL's in Q78/16 (35.5 x 9.5). Simex ET's were great in the jungle and for sloppy mud they were a somewhat better tire. I found them rather rigid and found the Swamper somewhat better on road. Simex ET's are not readily available in the US. If I had to make the choice, sizes being equally convenient, I would be heavily influenced by price. With the cheap Simex copies available in the UK, I would go that way over more expensive Swampers. If costs were similar, I would probably go with the Swampers.

Bit of a cliff hanger of a line that one. :o Hope you're ok.

I'm ok - very sore and got whiplash and numerous bruises but generally ok!

I hit another vehicle (or 3), i was moving and it turns out they werent!

img2182mediumqa9.jpg

img2181mediumda1.jpg

Unfortunatly i have bent the chassis from the forces through the o/s chassis rail...made quite a mess complete front end, rad, intercooler and other engine bits mashed, stearing and some suspension bits mashed as well.

Well at least you're ok :) Better get the t-cut out, that looks like quite an impact.

Indeed, best get the T-cut colour tho to make the best job of it :blink:

Look on the bright side smo, it saves you selling iy now. Hassle on price with insurance and don't give up.

Cheers

Steve

You might have a point there but i can see it causing just as many problems with insurance being difficult in the case of a write off, especially as i think i had just found a buyer too!

One whole chassis rail has move rearwards a noticable ammount. I guess its down to the insurance company, the assesor is going over on monday to see it and decide so i will find out then.

If they do write it off then i shall definatly ask about buying it back because it would be an ideal base for my new one :)

hope the bruises etc are getting better

Indeed, best get the T-cut colour tho to make the best job of it :blink:

You might have a point there but i can see it causing just as many problems with insurance being difficult in the case of a write off, especially as i think i had just found a buyer too!

if you have trouble with the insurers valuation it may be worth seeing if the buyer will put in writing the price they had agreed. I used this method with a m/c a few years ago and they caved immediately and gave me the market value rather than the 50% they initially offered without any quibbles.

just a thought

toby