Lokar Auto Gear Shifter into a Defender

How are you finding the ZF generally?  What mpg are you getting?  I still like the idea, having gotten lazy with an auto out here (manual transmission cars are very rare in the Middle East)

The ZF actually suits the V8 quite well on the road at least - you plonk it in gear and it's generally relaxing and wafty like other cars with big engines and auto boxes (as refined as a 110 can be!). You need to provoke it a bit to make it kick down, but when it does it goes pretty well...

In terms of MPG - when it was a 3.5 (with Thor manifolds / Megasquirt) on simple BLOS LPG it would do 10-12MPG depending on the type of journey, so probably 14 or so on petrol (although it was rarely used on it!).

I dropped in a 4.6 last summer and it's not done many miles since with lockdown, probably less than 1500 so it's still barely run in, and a lot of the time has been spent remapping the Megasquirt and getting the now multi-point LPG injection playing nicely together. Fuel economy is about the same on gas, but I reckon I can get it better as I improve the mapping over time... 

I was a bit hesitant when I bought it due to it being an auto but I actually think it works well... 

Ah, I forgot you had a V8.  I’d love that, but couldn’t afford the fuel bills, so went diesel. 😏. Autos don’t have a stellar reputation behind Tdis, and I wasn’t that impressed with a Tdi RRC VogueSE with auto when I was trying to find a good Classic (narrowing the search to a manual), but with a Defender or Series, they’re driven slower, so I figure it might not matter like it does in the RRC.

I followed his rebuilt and he seemed very happy once it was running.  I haven’t seen him on here in a while, though - the last comments I remember on his 90 thread were him pondering removing the tubular front wing system and fitting standard wings, which was a few years ago now.