Die grinders and consumables

L19MUD

Well it is January again and I have some cash from relatives for Christmas - I always like to spend such presents on something tangible as opposed to 'wasting' it down the pub (not that the pub is open!!)

I find I quite often need to enlarge holes outside of the realms of a drill bit sometimes by making a slot in metal and find I have no tools really suitable for the job. The 4 inch grinder being too big for the job and the dremel too small

Would a die grinder manage to slot a pre drilled hole in 3mm thick steel for example? And what sort of bit would you use? I was expecting to be able to buy wearing bits as you can for the dremel for grinding metal but I can't easily find anything from a quick internet search. I have my eye on this as I have many other Makita LXT tools so have the batteries and am happy with the quality. It is a 6mm collet and 25k no load speed

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-dgd800z-lxt-18v-long-nose-die-grinder-body-only

Is this going to do what I want or am I expecting too much?

This should do what you want  and with the right bits should manage thicker than 3mm I have a 110v one and its  very useful bit of kit for elongating  holes you will need to buy some carbide burrs  a word of warning though they can be quite aggressive in moving steel also removed steel is perfect for sticking in your skin always pays to clean up straight after before the tiny shards of steel get dispersed and bite you later regards Stephen 

• Like 1

As above, should be fine, especially with some good carbide burrs.

If you have air, consider that, battery tools are fine, but so much more bulky than a tiny air die grinder -probably a quarter the weight.

• Like 1

I'd also second an air tool version.  And a 90Deg one at that. I find mine gets used way more than the straight one. Also as above, carbide burrs in various shapes are great at removing metal, just got to watch the the stuff that comes off as it likes to stick in your skin. Also, if you end up with a 90Deg one, get some 3m Roloc pads for it. Brilliant for weld preps and surprisingly effective at removing metal. 

I have an air die grinder & a few carbide burrs, it's very effective (as are carbide burrs in a regular drill) but it's not so easy to get a nice regular finish with it - nice straight lines or nice round holes are something of a challenge. I find I rarely use the die grinder, and only use the burrs in the drill from time to time.

Thanks all - I do have air but then that restricts use to the workshop and means I have to drag the air line about which is why I started moving to battery stuff. I appreciate the trade off is weight of the tool but for infrequent use I can cope with that

I guess the straight one means you can access some harder to reach areas but looking at the 90 degree ones for most jobs they appear to be more natural to use where you need to apply a little force? Does anyone have a link to some decent quality carbide burrs?

The straight air die grinder with a burr is best for removing material, say if you're scalloping/fish-mouthing a steel tube.

The 90 degree die grinder with the sanding flap wheels are good for de-burring, smoothing off metal.

I have the Draper storm force die grinder in straight and 90 degree:

https://www.toolstation.com/draper-storm-force-65130-air-mini-die-grinder/p60965?store=T2&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAiAudD_BRBXEiwAudakX7LO-6CK3-n5wbMVbd8xPQRrYaHO1TUe1htnvLgwAaaW2eufUtVhJBoC7HkQAvD_BwE

They have been good with the amount of use I have given them.

I did buy a cut off wheel from the same range, but it seems to need a hell of a lot more air to actually cut anything, so that has sat on the shelf and not used. I suspect I will need to upgrade my air lines and fitting to high output ones as I would hope my air compressor is man enough.

The Makita straight die grinder you link too would be perfect for enlarging holes and as you say doesn't tether you to the workshop!

And I've also had good experience with Powertool world! Quick delivery!

Steve

Edited by steve200TDi

I've had a Clarke straight air die grinder for years - use with carbide burrs its very useful for enlarging holes, shaping metal, removing and grinding welds etc, even for removing ridges from the edge of worn brake drums.

Like may other tools use umproves with practice

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

And your eyes! 

Goggles are more of a must than when wire cup brushing with and angry grinder.

A particularly fun game once, was the need to put a drill speed rated wire brush into the 90Deg die grinder to get it into where it was needed. It worked well, but I reckon about ~20% of the wires ended up embedded in me somewhere as it disintegrated :lol:.

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

A particularly fun game once, was the need to put a drill speed rated wire brush into the 90Deg die grinder to get it into where it was needed. It worked well, but I reckon about ~20% of the wires ended up embedded in me somewhere as it disintegrated :lol:.

Indeed.

When your belly looks like a hedgehog, it is time for a new cup brush! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are enlarging a hole be very careful as if you relax the burr can suddenly grip the side of the hole and race round the circumference. It can snap or bend the burr. As experiences go it can be sphincter toning, and doesn't do much for the hole either which ends up notched. 

50 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

If you are enlarging a hole be very careful as if you relax the burr can suddenly grip the side of the hole and race round the circumference. It can snap or bend the burr. As experiences go it can be sphincter toning, and doesn't do much for the hole either which ends up notched. 

In situations the following formula applies: S = A/H

S= Sphincter size
H=Hole Size
A= Constant

In otherwords, as the Hole gets bigger, the sphincter gets smaller :P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cackshifter said:

Where were you on Saturday?!! Learnt this the hard way but did not damage anything luckily